One song that led to a pedal purchase?: Pls list.

paulbearer

Ever buy a pedal because of one song?

The "who influenced your sound" thread is mostly "artist" responses so I thought I'd put this out there....

I recently (finally) got a flanger specifically so I could get in the zone on The Cure's "A Forest".
I got an MXR, though BF-2 and FL9 were considered, any would do the job.

You?

Stratofreak

I was only 1 1/2 years old when this was recorded, so it was many years later when it hit my wheelhouse. Univibe is one hell of a drug!

micycle

Ace Frehley's "I'm In Need of Love" made me want and obtain a delay pedal. I ended up with a Digitech PDS2000 because I was young and didn't know what I was buying (I guess I thought "sampling" meant delay). Not only did it work great as a delay, albeit way too clean to achieve the Frehley space echo effect, I got a lot of miles out of the sampler, too.. my favorite thing to do was sample the "We Will Rock You" beat and play along with it.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
We decided to add Shakedown Street to the set so I grabbed a Snow White Auto wah. Now I'm using it on Scarlet Begonias too.

GulfportBound

The only pedal I own and use had nothing to do with a song and everything to do with wanting a boost through my Princeton Reverb in certain venues where I might need a little more presence: Boss '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal, now discontinued. I just set its treble, bass, and reverb knobs the same as on the amp, set the gain knob between 1 and 2, and voila! Good presence when needed and no distortion/breakup, which I don't want, anyway. (I modded the Princeton Reverb to get the breakup out.)

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - wah pedal. I think I used it a grand total of 3 times.

paulbearer

I am not hugely into pedals. What am I missing?
No need to overthink it. Try some out at a retailer and see if they do anything for you. The thread isn't about pedal obsession, just about a one pedal solution to a particular song's tone.

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
A few:

Ibanez Wah because of Perfect Situation by Weezer
Q-Tron Plus from I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You by John Mayer
Dover Drive from Eric Gales and Eric Johnson's cover of May This Be Love by Jimi Hendrix

The Ibanez was just because that was the cheapest (and I still think that it's one of the best wahs in terms of functionality out there) when I was in high school at my local store. I think the Q-Tron Plus is the only pedal that is actually USED in the song. The others are just me trying to get those tones in general.

bigtone23

Voodoo Child made me want a wah.
Most anything U2 Made me really want delay.
Most anything on the pop and rock radio and MTV in the 80s made me want a Chorus.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
Way back when, I heard Renaissance Man by Midnight Oil and HAD to have a tremolo pedal.

Trending Topics