1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Spot users questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Jul 27, 2005.

1. erksin

erksin Member

I just picked up a One Spot combo pack from MF, it didn't come with any manual/instructions and their website blows so...

Do you guys still leave the batteries in your pedals while using it?

and

Do you tape off any of the unused plugs for safety?

Thanks!

P.S. If anybody needs the L6 Line 6 adapters, I got 2 I'll never use...

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

You can leave your batteries in the pedals. The 9V input jack on most pedals switches the battery in/out of the circuit. I take my batteries out though, in case I forget and they start to leak.

Don't worry about taping off the unused plugs - it's extremely, extremely difficult to short the barrel type plug. If you have a 1/8" plug, that's another story (looks like a headphone plug), you may want to tape it off.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Appreciate the reply - thanks!

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I'd definitely tape up any unused plugs - the barrel type plugs carry the positive on the outside of the barrel, which means that if you accidentally touch that to a bare metal part on any of the pedals (plugs or jacks, for instance), you'd short out all the power.

/Andreas

5. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

a big +1

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

what do you guess mean by "tape up"
    do you mean put electrical tape around the sliver part of the plug?

7. erksin

erksin Member

Okay then, tape is good!

8. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

mine actually came with little plastic tubing to put around unused ones. maybe an addition at the store i bought from. i have shorted my power out with barrel plugs for sure. cover them somehow.

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I DON'T leave the batteries in. Possible corrosion?

I DO tape off the unused ends (with electrical tape) or use the soft plastic covers that usually come with the daisy chain to prevent shorting things out.

10. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

To short it out, both the positive, and the negative would have to touch the same surface.

Since the negative is the interior of the barrel plug, that would be pretty difficult to accomplish.

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Ordinarily, that would be the case (and that's what I was thinking) BUT with these type of daisy chain adapters, all the -ves are grounded to the case and each other. So an exposed metal barrel plug is effectively at -ve potential compared to the 9V plug's barrel. Touch them and short!

12. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Thanks for the info.. My One Spot hasn't shown up yet. Hopefully they put that info on the instruction sheet.

13. erksin

erksin Member

There wasn't any 'instruction sheet' in mine, nor were there any plug covers. Don't go looking on the website either - it's not there...

14. spooky ram

spooky ram Member

I shorted the power today when the barrels touched. Can this damage my pedals?

15. TheSkyIsFalling

TheSkyIsFalling Senior Member

I accidentally let the open connectors touch the metal of my pedals sometimes and it shuts off the power to all my pedals and I have to kick on some and then kick them off to get sound back... I would tape those up to be safe

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

it first i left my batteries in when i first got my one spot but then i saw a thread on here that said you shouldn't because the battery might leak and corrode. my one spot came with rubber plugs for the unused plugs. i keep those on if im not using the other plugs

17. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Not normally, no. When the power shorts, no voltage reaches the circuit. You could damage the power supply, though, so make sure any unused plugs are covered up.

18. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Heat shrink also works to "cap" unused plugs.

19. erksin

erksin Member

Holy thread revival Batman! lol

20. dbun

dbun Member

I take the batteries out of my pedals more so because I don't want them to leak.

I always tape the unused plugs together and hide them on the board where they can't touch metal. Now that I've moved to Cioks this isn't an issue anymore.