One Spot vs Boss PSA-120

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jpervin, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

Aside from the space-saving design, are there any advantages to using a One Spot power supply over a Boss PSA-120 or some other wall wart type of PS?

Only interested in the two types above. Not interested in the Pedal Power, PT Volto, etc.

2. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

One spot can handle up to 1700mA of current draw.

3. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

I use Boss PSA's for single pedals, Pedal Power 2+ for multiple/pedalboard.

The only pedals that had problems with my PSA's (out of about 40 pedals) were:

a) Bearfoot Green Vibe
    b) Analogman moded script Phase 90.

A Chinese el cheapo supply solved this but in general the PSA is much quieter WHEN it works (i.e. most of the time)

4. jpervin

jpervin Member

Would a multi-pedal setup tend to run quieter with the higher current draw of the One Spot?

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

^not necessarily, if you want quieter operation, your gonna have to drop some coin on an isolated power supply, the problem with wall wart supplies is that so many pedals now are high current digital, and in general, most of these like an isolated power source, or else they will generate a lot of noise.

However, if your board is nothing but a bunch of analog pedals with fairly low current draw, or if they are boss single unit pedals or visual sound, they will get along fine on a one spot.

6. shinksma

shinksma Member

I use a couple of One Spots to power my pedals (well, technically a One Spot and a Behringer Pedalboard Power Supply that looks identical to a One Spot, same rating and all). They work quite well. I have mostly Boss, with some other analog-type regular stomp boxes, and a Catalinbread Echorec.

7. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Boss used to have PSA-120T. This linear transformer based PSU was better than current switch mode PSU-120s. But it's discontinued now. Probably you'll manage to come across a used one.
    [​IMG]

8. no-bo

no-bo Member

Actually, in this high draw situation, the One Spot might be quieter. if you have a 300 ma isolated slot, and you put in a 300 ma digital pedal, you might get noise.

if you have a 500 ma digital pedal, it just not going to work in that isolated slot.

if you have a One Spot and the sum of all your draw, including your 2 or 3 high draw pedals is say, 1200, it'll probably be QUIETER than the expensive isolated power source.

but in other situations, the isolated might be quieter. just put down $20 in the one spot & test it out. most likely it's all you need.

and yes, the one spot has so much more draw & better ergonomics than the boss, it's no contest.