• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

One string a "different" gauge from the set?

edward

Silver Supporting Member
OK, so I am either fine-tuning to my exact liking, or this is patent OCD of the classic TGP kind:

I've come to realize that one of my Strats (the go-to-live guit) "needs" a thicker high E. I use D'Addario 10s, the "balanced tension" set where the G and B are a .001" thicker as I prefer the feel and the slightly better volume balance of the plain strings against the wounds. Well that .010 high E with certain chords and OD gets a bit "lost" in the mix ...I popped a .011 on there and instant improvement!

So now since I prefer this, I am henceforth relegated to this "custom string" set where I will order that single 011 to appease my tonal OCD. If strat pups (the bulk of them, of course) only came with adjustable poles this would be a non issue ...argh! Oh well, at least it is an easy fix.

So does anyone else here use their own string recipe to get it juuuust right? :D

Edward

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer a balanced feel and then tweak pup height, treble side up a wee bit if needed.
If it really really bugged me and was fixable by pole adjustment a way to do it would be found or the pup would be changed for one that worked.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Various companies will package strings with custom gauges from what they make if you buy a box of 12 sets.

AudioEcstasy

Yeah I kind of customize my sets. It's not a huge deal but I usually prefer a thinner G for standard, various for open tunings.

I use GHS Brite Flats and I just order the strings individually to get the set I desire. I use a slightly lower tension B and G ala Gilmour to facilitate bending and it helps with balance when playing chords.

Sconnie

This isnt weird, so many companies make prepackaged "custom" sets to meet this demand. Read or watch interviews with Page and he will tell you all those guys back then used banjo strings for their high E so they could get those big bends easier, use what sounds good or meets your needs!

swiveltung

Yep, been using an .015 G string in lieu of the .017 in 10-46 set for years. Easier stretching on my old hands and the G is plenty loud anyway....
anyone need a ton of 017's?

newswede

I'll second that - but did it for the tone balance.

Yep, been using an .015 G string in lieu of the .017 in 10-46 set for years. Easier stretching on my old hands and the G is plenty loud anyway....
anyone need a ton of 017's?

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Well gee, I guess I'm not as OCD, er "unique," in this regard. Thanks for the group therapy, all! :D

Edward

Trending Topics

Top Bottom