one thing most amp builders are still failing to address that bugs me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big hair, Sep 13, 2005.

1. big hair

big hair Member

I feel like I am going mad because there are so many cool amps out there that I would love but can't buy because they lack a vital feature that I need.

Since I play in a two guitar band I need an amp that will allow me some way to have some sort of facility to give a volume boost for lead solos

I honestly feel like a broken record but I just wish more amp builders would consider this. A boost pedal before an overdriven amp WILL NOT give a volume boost. If the amp has an fx loop and a clean power stage then I can boost with an eq pedal. If the power stage is driven, ie plexi etc then this is useless too.

There is the thought of a footswitchable attenuator which would make all amps useable?

Some amps do have a boost function or two different volumes which is perfect. But why do most amp builders fail to take this into account.

I'd love a Komet, or a Fuchs Train, or something similar, but I can't gig with it.

Any ideas guys????

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

THD, VHT, Rivera have 'em...

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I bought my Gibson Super Goldtone just for that reason. It has a 6db boost for for the clean and gain channel. Enough to "step up" for a solo, then you turn it off and it's back down to blending with the band.

I've just incorporated this type of feature into my quad 6V6 18 watt model (to be available in about six weeks), which I call the "nuke switch" but it works on the 3 band EQ channel only at this time. It's actually a tone stack bypass and gives an immediate 30-40% boost over that channel.

Due to the need for "momentary latching" switches which "suck tone" though, I won't be trying to this any further. Instead, I've opted for a four channel amplifier with different voicings and volume controls with an effective master volume.

The SGT model is the GA30-RVH, by the way, and Gibson just discontinued it. 30 watts RMS, quad EL 84 amp design. They also made a GA60 RVH with the same features, you might check that out and see if you can find one.

Good luck.

4. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

The Diezel Herbert has one as well. ;)

The Herbert has 2 footswitchable MV controls, so that not only do you get a volume boost, you get to decide on much of a boost you want.

:D

5. pluto

pluto Member

Not that I would recommend the Ultimate Attenuator, but I believe it has dual volume and bypass options that are footswitchable.

6. LHanson

LHanson Member

Don't GIVE those kinds of ideas away! I like it! How about this: not a volume pedal, but several footswitches lined up on a floorboard, each corresponding to a volume level, with an LED over each switch to indicate the current volume level.

Anybody that uses it owes me a nice royalty.

7. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

With my amps, you can use a volume pedal in the loop and it works swimmingly. Likewise I can build a box with a pot and a switch that you use for the same purpose (but can leave fixed at a certain setting).

I imagine a lot of other amps would work similarly.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Several Mesas have a solo boost switch I think.

Evan.

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Two Rock Onyx has it...adjustable. can kick it in while in clean or lead channel...gives you clean, clean boosted, lead, lead boosted, doesnt change the tone...nice... You can set the lead channel for crunch that is no louder than your clean then boost it for lead

10. Neil

Neil Member

This is an option on the boost switch of a Bogner Shiva

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

65Amps London head. A boost for the EF86 channel comes standard.

And the Jim Kelley attenuator was foot-switchable.

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Shiva, Koch, Fender HR deluxe and deville, THD Flexi, Tone King Comet...............

13. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I play in a 2 guitar band but I can not sypathize with you.
    Get a Fat Boost, it is that simple. We both have one, if that does not work then you are playing with hacks that do not listen and know how to use dynamics, shoot them!!

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Are we ALLOWED to do that? That is SO COOL!!! :p

15. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Most electric guitars have a volume control on them and, coupled with the right amp, can be very effective when used as a "boost" when needed. Granted, some amps don't respond well with a guitars volume control turned down even slightly, but my Komet is the cats meow at the guitar volume control/solo boost trick.

16. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Use the guitar's volume knob. It's worked for the best players for decades at putting their solos over a second guitarist's rhythm. I don't see this as a failing on the part of the amp builders.

17. JPenn

JPenn Member

What has the Fat Boost got goin for it that the RC Booster doesn't? Are you saying that you can run a Fat Boost into the front end of an overdriven amp and actually get it to boost volume instead of just drive the gain more?

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Rivera, VHT, Demeter, Dumble, Fender, Bogner, Mesa, Stephenson Peavey, Crate, Ampeg, Hughes and Kettner, all make amps like this.

Am I missing something?

19. goneracin

goneracin Member

It would be pretty easy to do, there are several ways to accomplish it. I dont see how a clean boost (adjustable db levels) wouldnt do this though? i have a pedal that will pull it off, it doesnt add distortion, just boosts the level. Ill have to try it with the amp dimed to see what happens I guess.

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

His point seems to be that he is running a classic style amp full out.... no more headroom. Period. How do you boost that?

The switchable attenuator is the only possibility offered, and personally, I think that a simple bypass loop around the attenuator could be effective if the impedance was maintained during the process.

Or save a lot of trouble and go to a pedalboard/clean amp setup. I know you (some) guys hate that!