Onespot/1 Spot vs. Boss PSA

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kingink, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

Hello Lords of Gear,

I just bought a Visual Sound 1 Spot (two days ago) for my pedal board, but I'm wondering if I really need it. Up til now, I've been powering my three pedals--Crowther Hotcake, Boss RV-2, and Boss TU2 pedal tuner--with a Boss PSA wall wart. I run the PSA into the tuner, and then run a daisy chain cable out of the "Out" jack on the tuner to the other two pedals. The PSA power supply is plugged into a power strip on my pedal board. It does cover up two inputs on the power strip, but leaves three clear, which is plenty. This setup has worked fine.

I realize the 1 Spot is 1700ma, whereas the PSA is only 200ma, but I'm not sure I need 1700ma of power anyway.

Here's what I want to know: are there advantages to the 1 Spot that I'm overlooking? Before l head back to Guitar Center and see if they'll give me my $20.00 back, I thought I'd check in with the pedalmeisters here.

Thank you,

David

2. jimmyc84

jimmyc84 Member

just means that in the future when it's quite likely that you might add to your pedal connection that you'll have enough amps with the onespot to power them all without buying a new adaptor. not so with the boss

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

What the man said :)

The RV-2 is listed at 130mA, with the TU-2 using 35mA max. The Hotcake probably isn't using more than 10mA or so, which makes for a total of 175mA - not a lot of room left for anything else. With 1700mA available from the 1-spot, you won't be running out of power for a while...

The downside to switching type adapters (1-spot, Godlyke among others) is that they can cause a whining noise in certain pedals. This mostly concerns time-based and/or digital circuits, but if your RV-2 is ok with the 1-spot, there's no real reason to take it back.

/Andreas

4. sandman

sandman Member

Andreas,

what's exact function of TU-2? Can you just stick a daisy-chain to a Boss adaptor like you would with 1 Spot?

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes but it will crap out after powering three to four pedals, and it also depends on the pedals you might only be able to power two pedals correctly with the Boss Adapter. The One Spot or the Godlyke Power all is the way to go. It takes up less room and you'll never have to worry about not having enough juice. Why would you want to use the Boss Adapter anyway? They are almost the same price anyway.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Aside from being a tuner ;) it also has a power out jack. You plug the adapter in the power in jack, and the Boss daisy chain cable in the power out jack (feeding the other pedals). The tuner itself has nothing to do with the powering - it's merely a connection point for the power cable.

The daisy chain cable you can buy from Visual Sound (as well as other daisy chains, such as the one that comes with the Godlyke Power-All kit) works the same way, but you connect the adapter directly to it. That type of cable will work with any adapter that has the correct plug (Boss PSA, 1-spot, Godlyke etc).

/Andreas

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

I picked up the VS One Spot with the daisy chain and adapters a couple of weeks ago. Best $25 I've spent in awhile. I've been using it at rehearsals for a few weeks and I'm confident in it. Now I can finally throw together that small pedal board I've been needing to do.

1700 mA is nice to have--it gives you options.

8. sandman

sandman Member

thanks,that's what I thought.seemed to simple :D Boss cable has all 'male' plugs so u have to use the TU-2.

I'm happy with my 1 Spot but I'm sure I'll get a PP2+ sooner or later.Anyone wanna convince me to or not to?

9. kingink

First of all, thank you to everybody for weighing in.

58lespaulman, sorry for not being clear: I've been using the PSA for years. I thought something was wrong with the jack on the TU2 (pedal board crashed the other night at practice) so the next day I ran out and bought the 1 Spot. Turns out the TU2 was fine, there was just a loose jack on the RV-2. :jo

Andreas, I will check for the whine with the 1 Spot. Thanks for the tip. The RV-2 is old, old, old, and actually sometimes makes noises all on its own. It actually needs to be replaced soon. Oh, and I found info on the Hotcake: 3.5ma.

Sandman, it's just like Andreas said, and on the Boss website, in the user guide PDF, I found a little note that says you can run up to seven pedals off the PSA/TU2 setup, providing you don't exceed the 200ma. Thing is, some of their modulation effects, like the Super Pitch Shifter or whatever it's called, have hefty current draws.

Now, the responsible thing to do would be to talk you out of that PP2+. I was thinking of getting it, but I don't have a very extensive pedalboard with wildly different brands of pedals, but I think for everyone who does, it makes a lot of sense. I especially like that it requires a regular AC cord. Seems more rugged.

One last question: what happens if you exceed the max current draw? Do the pedals possibly burn out, or does the power supply? I was running four pedals at one time, the above stated plus a Boss PS-3 Pitch Shifter, which draws 70ma, so I was over the limit. Not long after I added the PS-3, it broke. Just stopped working. Could I have damaged it because I wasn't within 200ma?

Thanks again, everybody!

Cheers,

David

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Good question, but I don't really know. I used to use the Boss adapter myself and ran a daisy chain, but started noticing a lag in some of my pedals, and then I bought the Godlyke Power all and One Spot and all my problems went away..

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If you exceed the adapter's mA capacity, any damage should be in the adapter. However, weird things can happen when the adapter is about to die, so there's no way to say for sure that the pedals are 100% safe. For instance, if the voltage regulator goes out in flames (figuratively speaking), there is a possibility that it could output a higher voltage than it's supposed to, in its dying moments. That could potentially damage the pedals. But in general, current overdraw should cause the adapter to burn out, rather than the pedals.

/Andreas

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I would hang onto the One Spot, and use it over the Boss. I also have the Godlyke Power All, It's just going to make everything more consistant, and for the record mine doesn't hum whatsoever..

13. TBone

TBone Member

Also, underpowering your rig can affect your tone and / or result in unwanted noise. It's always better to have some headroom in your power.

TBone

14. kingink

Good points! Thanks for the info.