• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Online checker for 4-Part /Chorale Writing

Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any online program/webapp that you can input 4 part writing into and it will check for mistakes like parallel 5ths, doubling errors, et al? I've been looking but I haven't found anything and I'm thinking that there must be something out there.

Thanks!!

stevel

No offense, but if you learn how to do it correctly, you won't have this problem.

Peace,
Steve

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
The checker is called 'a piano'. I wish I had used it more rather than just following rules like a math problem. Have you ever seen the Herman Keller book?

heavypick

No offense, but if you learn how to do it correctly, you won't have this problem.

Peace,
Steve
Cool. I've never really had too hard of a time with four-part writing but I learned a lot from doing it back in the day, and it's given me a hyper-awareness of voice leading in everything that I do that carries over to this day.

A lot of elementary theory classes spend plenty of time on four-part writing so if it were that easy for everyone to magically just learn to do it correctly, I don't think there would be a need for the classes.

I agree that the goal is learning how to compose flawless part-writing technique. Surely you can imagine how a program that points out your mistakes could be a very valuable learning tool. I studied counterpoint in high school and learned it once upon a time by doing assignments, having them checked by a teacher, and learning from and correcting my mistakes. I am now 32 years old, and my technique is pretty dang rusty. Since I can't go back to my high school music theory teacher, I was hoping I could use modern technology to learn!!

I'm not sure if the poster who responded with "the piano" was merely trying to be snarky or if it was a serious answer (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), but to respond; I don't exclusively listen to music from the common practice era, so I can't say that I am always going to hear a hidden fifth or a double 3rd in a voicing. These types of things wouldn't be out of place in any other era/genre/geography of music, many of which I listen to.

harmonicator

I thought Sibelius had a function that highlighted parallel 5th/octaves, crossed voices, etc. If you compose using that program, you can scan it when you're done and they show up.

magpie74

Finale has a plug-in that finds parallel motion. I don't think it came with my copy of Finale 2002, but I just tried it on Finale 2009, which is what I use now, and it seems to work great. I imagine it comes with the current version, as well.

Trending Topics