Online Ear training?

Jeff Stocks

I toyed with Ear Master years ago and it was fine - most of these programs are variations on a theme. If you want a program, it's about as good as any.

The best way to improve your ears is through transcribing though. I figure that's because it takes a lot of work and what you are learning interests you and is useful. Money might be better spent on some software to slow down music and loop it so you can learn it the old fashion way.

A third option - When I was studying w/ Matt Otto, we spent most of our time working on ear training. He had a pretty simple setup - just an old casio keyboard. He would play a note and then another one against it. I'd have to guess the interval. Later, he would play a chord which I would have to guess the quality, then play a note against it, which I would have to guess. Point being, if you have a buddy, you can ear train as much as you want for no dough. You can even get drone mp3s online to play different intervals or chords against.

https://www.earmaster.com

https://www.seventhstring.com

derekd

Supporting Member
Rich Severson has a CD set he calls Theory for the Road. Not sure where my set is. In a box somewhere. I did use it for a while and got some utility from it.

Some of it was basic theory stuff, some ear training.

http://guitarcollege.com/tftr.htm

Last edited:

guitarjazz

The Ear Sharpener app, based on the Charlie Banacos ‘pencil method’ is by far the most helpful ear training tool. I don’t think it’s on the App Store anymore :(
I think there is a free online version at the developer’s website pianocandy.com

bugzapper

The Ear Sharpener app, based on the Charlie Banacos ‘pencil method’ is by far the most helpful ear training tool. I don’t think it’s on the App Store anymore :(
I think there is a free online version at the developer’s website pianocandy.com
It was a good app, but I don't think it was ever fully developed and was not maintained for newer iOS versions (audio got wonky). But is worth looking out for in a new version.

guitarjazz

It was a good app, but I don't think it was ever fully developed and was not maintained for newer iOS versions (audio got wonky). But is worth looking out for in a new version.
I keep an old iPod Touch around just cause of that app lol.

Guitarheel62

Supporting Member
Improvise For Real

Check out their website and videos on You Tube. I bought the Video Guitar Course in August of last year and my ear has improved tremendously.
The best way I can explain my progress is that my brain(ear) has finally connected with the fretboard. I've been flailing around for years but I now see real progress. Most importantly I look forward to picking my guitar up every day because I know I am progressing.
His (David) way of explaining the way they teach music makes the most since to me of anything I've ever heard regarding the subject.
You don't have to dive deep to understand his way of teaching, he gives a great overview on the website or the Youtube videos.

Also, this is for ALL instruments including voice. Best wishes in your learning.

arpegadream

Beato has a really nice course/website for ear training.
If I can ever manage to pay for it or something else, yeah. I believe in supporting creators, too. I bought his green book.

I had to cancel almost everything I've been subbed to. Tough times. Can't even eat right. Surely I'm not the only one struggling?

Isn’t Beato’s course at a bonkers $200 price point?

I made really good progress just playing intervals on a keyboard and linking all the sounds to song opening lines. I then recorded myself just playing a bunch of random intervals and used those to test myself.

I’m still working on chords... the same process seems to be working but it’s a big jump. I can usually get the nature of a three note chords major/minor/suspended/oh a sixth! but I can’t quickly work out it’s role in a given key yet.

SoPhx

Major/minor/dominant/diminished/augmented. Listen for the key, the root, the quality of the chord, and the partials above the triad. Done.

Last edited:

Trending Topics