• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Online Japan shopping

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
What are some of the popular sites in Japan where we can purchase MIJ guitars? Maybe even some lesser known sites with great inventory? Thank you!

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Check out flea bay. They have some bonifide Japanese merchants selling new and vintage. Most include free shipping and have 100's of all positive feedback. Prices are good on the vintage. No more than you'd pay here.

Reactions: rsm

sleepingtiger

I've made a couple of purchases from Ishibashi myself & other than a bit of a lag time in communications, mostly due to time difference, it's been a totally positive experience. My suggestion is to try them first.

Tony

Whittlez

Silver Supporting Member
Check out flea bay. They have some bonifide Japanese merchants selling new and vintage. Most include free shipping and have 100's of all positive feedback. Prices are good on the vintage. No more than you'd pay here.
um, no

I buy several dozen guitars from Japan a year. and Ebay is almost always substantially more expensive than the Japan retailers (or private sellers on Yahoo Japan). There are exceptions...

Many of the "Japanese Merchants" are actually people who list guitars IN INVENTORY in stores (like Ishibashi) marked up a few hundred dollars.

When you buy from them, they go to the store, buy the guitar, ship it to you and pocket the profit

when you can just buy directly from the store.

I've caught a few people doing this scam on Reverb, reported them and Reverb stopped them from doing it.

Ebay ime is not very responsive. They don't care. They just want their commission.

It's SUPER obvious since the stores have unique backgrounds and formats in their pictures and almost always these guys just cut and paste.

Simto

Contact Jason or Johan at Ishibashi. Very helpful and cool guys. I recently bought a used MIJ jazz bass and only have good things to say about buying from them.
Ishibashi's stock is ****ing insane and the store in Shibuya is the craziest guitar store I've ever been to!
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/eng/

Ikebe is another big dealer. I haven't bought anything from them, but they were cool in the store and have a great invetory too
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/cmShopTopPage1En.html#googtrans(ja|en)

Not really a MIJ dealer but Hyper guitars are sick if you're looking for something vintage. I didn't get the chance to check out the store in person when I was in Tokyo this summer, but I'm definitely going to check it out when I'm back in March!
http://www.hyperguitars.com/

Bluplirst

Silver Supporting Member
um, no

I buy several dozen guitars from Japan a year. and Ebay is almost always substantially more expensive than the Japan retailers (or private sellers on Yahoo Japan). There are exceptions...

Many of the "Japanese Merchants" are actually people who list guitars IN INVENTORY in stores (like Ishibashi) marked up a few hundred dollars.

When you buy from them, they go to the store, buy the guitar, ship it to you and pocket the profit

I've caught a few people doing this scam on Reverb, reported them and Reverb stopped them from doing it.

Ebay ime is not very responsive. They don't care. They just want their commission.

It's SUPER obvious since the stores have unique backgrounds and formats in their pictures and almost always these guys just cut and paste.
Truth, eBay is rife with those resellers. You see the same guitar listed by a few guys all for ridiculous prices. If you see a guitar in Japan on eBay, go to digimart and you can search for it and find the store that actually has it.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
um, no

wow, had no idea there were renegade middlemen running around. When i was looking for a 70's Ibanez Artist i jut saw the prices from these guys were about the same as here for a decent original one $1200-$1400 range. now id bet if go direct it would be 20% less lol

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
wow, had no idea there were renegade middlemen running around. When i was looking for a 70's Ibanez Artist i jut saw the prices from these guys were about the same as here for a decent original one $1200-$1400 range. now id bet if go direct it would be 20% less lol
If you look closely at Ebay, you'll see the same guitar listed multiple times as someone said. It's a scam that Ebay should put an end to. The same thing happens in China with the counterfeit guitars. You order something from someone, and then they go out and get you a guitar.

JPIndustrie

I would love to order one of those beauties from Ishibashi , etc but I'm always worried about a. Shipping to USA and b. Customs. Is the process typically straightforward ?

EDS

Silver Supporting Member
I've found a guitar on Digimart but the store won't ship to the US - has anyone tried using a Japanese reshipping service?

gdane4

Silver Supporting Member
Contact Jason or Johan at Ishibashi. Very helpful and cool guys. I recently bought a used MIJ jazz bass and only have good things to say about buying from them.
Ishibashi's stock is ****ing insane and the store in Shibuya is the craziest guitar store I've ever been to!
^^^^^^^^^^
This. I've worked with Jason also. Great guy. Straight shooter. Awesome store.

For those visiting, apparently there's another location/warehouse near the store in Shibuya with most of their used items. Not sure on this as I never made it out of the main store!!

MomentFX

When you buy from them, they go to the store, buy the guitar, ship it to you and pocket the profit when you can just buy directly from the store.
Can you name any of these sellers? I'd like to avoid them in the future.

I've never ordered from Japan, but I've been to Ishibashi guitars in Tokyo, and it's HUGE and impressive. Try them.

These guys are probably your best bet to order from, they even employ a team of people to answer and deal with emails from people who don't speak Japanese, so they have a team of multi language speakers just to reply to emails.

I use them whever I buy a guitar from Japan, and their shipping prices and speed is nothing short of amazing, we are talking days to get to the other side of the world, clear customs and arrive on your door step.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I've bought from Ishibashi before, very easy to deal with and the guitar only took a couple of days to get from Japan to the UK (then a week worming is way through the system in the UK, but hardly their fault!).

The big question at the moment if you want to buy from abroad is what the implications of the new CITES classification for Rosewood will be for individuals buying from other countries. I've been trying to find a straight answer on this but it's not easy. I've just rushed through a purchase from the US to get it shipped before the new rules kick in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom