online resources for circuit design

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Couloirman, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

I am getting into amp building via the usual method of building some kits and moving on from there, but was wondering if there were any good online resources for drawing out my own amplifier schematic ideas? A site that keeps track of all the parts that have been used so it can populate a "shopping list" of components needed to build the circuit that has been drawn and help figure out the layout of everything inside the chassis? Does anyone here use a good (preferably free/cheap, but I'm happy to pay if needed) website, or just draw it out by hand? Once you design your own circuit, do you just get a generic turret board for the most freedom of construction? Custom PCBs?

Basically, I'm not reinventing the wheel here with what I want to make, I just want some software to help clean up how I wire everything, where all the components go, and also keep track of all the parts I will need. All I am "designing" is an ODS type circuit (ultra-phonix if anyone would ever post a decent schematic) with master volume, brownface style harmonic tremolo and tube reverb.

I have a macbook pro if that matters in terms of software. Anyone use circuitlab? iCircuit? Something else?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. macula56

macula56 Member

3. RiftAmps

RiftAmps Member

I use http://www.digikey.com/schemeit/# for my schematic ideas. It's free to use.

Once you've drawn it out you also get a nice parts list (BOM). The only thing it doesn't do is help you work out the chassis layout, but that's the fun part anyway :)

4. tresspassor

tresspassor Member

I use diylc for my amp layouts. It's free and simple to use. It also has a BOM generator listing all the component info on your drawing.

For schematics, I use expresssch . It's also free and relatively simple to use. Although I did have to create my own tube symbols as it is geared for modern day applications.

As stated, some suppliers like mouser, AES, hoffman, etc. have tools to allow you to save all items related to each project. The problem you will ultimatley face is that you will have to source parts from multiple vendors. I just maintain my own spreadsheets for each project with all the parts, costs, vendors, etc.

I beleive I have examples of all of these posted here:
    http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k624/tresspassor/Plexisausrus%20Rex/Martial_PR-4191_Layout_Preamp_zps2507746e.png

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

6. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member