Online Tube Dealer Sticky

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big mike, Jan 8, 2013.

1. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I'll have to take another look at them then. My past experience with JAN tubes was unfortunately not great. That was also years ago, so hopefully microphonics testing has gotten better. That'll teach me to grab things off ebay.

2. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

The JAN GE tubes I've owned were/are very good. Got them from reliable source though.
    You can judge roughly tone on ebay finds, but microphonics, etc I'd assume are them being used or passed around.
    I particularly like the military tubes for rectifiers. Solid and last a long time.

3. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Yeah, definitely. I picked up a JAN Philips 5U4GB when they were on sale on tube depot. Unfortunately I can't use the coke bottle type due to clearance issues.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Few sellers on Ebay either have the equipment, or interest, to test for microphonics or realize that it's even an issue. This is a very specialized field which requires specialized sellers unless you like to gamble.

5. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Yeah, I've been checking out your store, and love how you tier their microphonic resistance. Great way to get some old glass for Phase Inverters and EQ drivers. They also usually don't blow up in cathode follower spots like all the reissues from Sovtek/EHX/Tungsol/Etc. I like those tubes, but worrying about them blowing up is a pain.

6. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Ok, I don't know where I saw it, but I remember seeing a dealer about a week ago, which had a lot of used tubes, all listed individually with ratings on what percent they were. Now I can't find it. Anyone know which store that was?

7. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I recommend you research that seller more before laying your money down:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...be-dealer-sticky.1197164/page-4#post-23411478

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/what-a-difference-one-tube-makes.1765906/

He continues to sell obviously used tubes as "NOS" - even a couple of years after being called out in no uncertain terms for this deceptive practice. Here is an example I found today:
    https://www.vivatubes.com/nos-ge-usa-6l6gb-black-plate-2-side-get-vacuum-tube-100/
    "NOS GE USA 6L6GB"
    [​IMG]

big mike and corn husk bag like this.
  9. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I did notice that. I should be ANOS unless it is NOS. Just because it "tests" as NOS, doesn't mean they should ever use that label. Definitely gotta read the fine print with that dealer. I know it's all about getting the search engine hits, but people started using ANOS as a term for a reason. At least they put specific details in the bottom of the listings.

Either way, turns out they really don't have any tubes I'm looking for anyway. You can find unlabeled old production tubes just about anywhere.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

BTW, some people don't understand that JAN (Joint Army Navy) isn't a brand or manufacturer. RCA, Sylvania, GE, Philips, Tung Sol, Marconi, Ken Rad, etc. all made JAN tubes for the military and all of their offerings display the brand name as well as the JAN designation and part number.

It's simply not valid to attribute any judgement to all manufacturers of JAN tubes with a generalized statement. If you have particular experience with a JAN tube it's crucial to specify which brand, which tube number, and the source you obtained the tube from.

11. big mike

Great point. My experience with JAN tubes has been GE and Phillips 12ax7's and GE rectifier tubes.
    all excellent for my needs.

12. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

Can someone tell me what ANOS means? I've never heard it before. Almost New Old Stock?

Blue Strat likes this.
  13. big mike

Yep. Can’t say unused so almost new means it’s gently used

I frankly assume most NOS is anos at least anymore

Mark.B likes this.
  14. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

It is a stupid acronym ALMOST = Bulls1t

15. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

Thanks. That's what I figured but wasn't sure.

16. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Basically used but tests the same AS NOS, so you get ANOS. As with dealing with any tubes, you should deal with a known and respected dealer, who tests all of their tubes.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

What would you prefer?

18. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Used, tests nominal “new”

tbonesullivan likes this.
  19. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

Maybe we can call them, USED and simply list the OEM specs and the tested specs. :dunno

have the word new in a description of a used tube is sleezy sales tactics.

20. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Pretty sure most of them DO list the "New" specs for the tubes. And yes, they do "test as new" according to the listed specifications for the tubes. I don't find it sleazy at all, and the ones that don't test as new are not listed as testing "as new".

I worked with the tube shop, and the transaction was COMPLETELY transparent. I got test values and pictures of the ANOS tubes.