Online Tube Dealer Sticky

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big mike, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Which is essentially what the first words of the listings say ("lightly used, test as new").

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    NewOldSocks likes this.
  2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Even when the first words of the listing are "Lightly used, test as new"?

3. NewOldSocks

NewOldSocks Member

Would just like to vouch for @Blue Strat ... not like he really needs it tho. (if it gets me in trouble, my bad).

I bought all JAN GE 12ax7wa for my AX7 positions, Mullard AT7 for my positions, a JAN Phillips 5AR4 rectifier, and a duet of G.E.6L6GC for my handwired StuDaddy Deluxe Reverb (it has the YUGE M.M. PT transformer to run the 6L6s efficiently).... all from KCANOS.

That was almost SEVEN years ago and I play my amp everyday and gig up to 3 times a week (4hr shows) with some shows being up to 6hrs away and I did NOT have a flight case for my amp (what a dipshit right?)...

I still have ALL of these tubes in my amp EXCEPT the power tubes (which I just bought exact replacements).
    I have had ZERO trouble out of ANY of the preamp tubes that I bought... even playing gigs up to Buffalo NY and back with NO flight case.

I was shittin' bricks when I was on the short "play gigs otw to Buffalo, play in Buffalo, and play gigs otw back" trip... JAN meant more to me than ever after that.

Hope that meant something to someone.

Cheers

Blue Strat and tbonesullivan like this.
  4. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I haven't bought from @Blue Strat YET, but I definitely plan to once I stop blowing my money on 100lb combo amps. Probably once the ol tax refund arrives.

The sellers who are on that list are there for a reason. I've also had great luck in ANOS tubes from Doug's Tubes. Old Production tubes last for a very long time, and the stress put on the preamp tubes is far less than the power tubes. I expect that the ones I have will last quite some time.

Now I just need to decide what kind of tubes I'm looking for. Ones that sound great clean, or ones that sound great when I stick them in the gain stages of a Dual Rectifier.

5. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I might have missed them listed above but what about this seller that's both online and thru reverb.com? I've bought from them several times; smooth transaction, quality tubes in stock, fast shipper, great communications...

https://www.vivatubes.com/

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

My opinion... No. Read the thread for more.

7. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I would say, definitely read the entire description for everything they post. If it clearly shows a faded getter flash, it's NOT possible to "test as new". They are very good about posting all the test values, so go by those, and the description, not whatever misleading title they put on their tubes.

8. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

Bought from KCA and Hi-Test with no issues. HiTest is not cheap, but you get what you pay for IMO. I've had the same Mullard EF86 in my Vox for years and it keeps on ticking (or NOT ticking?). He also sold me some Visseaux (sp?) EL84's, which beat Mullard and Telefunken for me. Amazing tones and he was able to walk me through the maze of NOS tubes to fine tube my amps for the tone I was hearing in my head.

NewOldSocks and Timbre Wolf like this.
  9. Timbre Wolf

I've never known Visseaux to have made EL84. Could you post a couple of photos?

10. cocheese

I'll post a pic in a couple of weeks when I get the amp back. The boxes are a mix of a red, white, and blue colors. Greg told me they were rare at the time, but this was over 10 years ago.

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Even rare-er now! I haven't seen these either. Boxes sound like the same design as Visseaux 6V6GT boxes.

12. cocheese

Well, the boxes say Belvu on the outside, but have Visseaux written on the side. They are red white and blue and say EL84 on the top. Perhaps not quite as "unobtanium" as suspected. Just wanted to write this before I go through the hassle of posting pics. All I know is these are the best sounding EL84's I've ever had for my Vox AC15/Marshall 18-watt style amp.

13. Timbre Wolf

Do the plates have a large circular hole on the side? Similar to original Mullard EL84, but with a slightly larger diameter hole?

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Photos would be VERY helpful for people who might have these, or see them in the future!

15. cocheese

Will do! I'll open up the amp and take some pics when I can.

16. 57gold

57gold Gold Supporting Member

Use Visseaux 6V6s, which sound pretty sweet in 1959 Deluxe. Bought two pairs from Upscale Audio I think or maybe it was HiTest...haven't seen these rarities available for years. Believe the froggies last made them in like 1952. Big colorful cleans and EL34 like bark when cranked.

Anyone seen these around lately?

17. Bloozey

Bloozey Member

I always have a very positive experience with Watford Valves and HotRox for differing purposes