• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

"Only Selling Because This Guitar Deserves To Be Played"

ZENTISH

Silver Supporting Member
Here's another one- Only Selling Because This Guitar Deserves To Be Played By Someone Who Is A Better Player Than Me!

TISH

John Quinn

I see this pitch on CL and classifieds all the time when someone's selling an unused guitar. It's like they're re-homing a pet.

Why would anyone care what happens to their guitar after they sell it?
Does this approach make the guitar somehow seem more desirable to buyers? Why?
How do they know it isn't going to just sit in someone else's closet?

Lockdown affects us all quite differently I see.

Chad11491

I generally feel that way about stuff I’m selling. I’ve never bought anything i haven’t enjoyed or considered a quality instrument. Sometimes you just fall out of love with stuff and I’d rather sell a guitar than have a hard shell case taking up space for a year+ with no use.

RockDebris

I see this pitch on CL and classifieds all the time when someone's selling an unused guitar. It's like they're re-homing a pet.

If a buyer wants an item and the price is right, it doesn't really matter what the sellers justification is for selling. So who really cares? Some sellers like to say things about life situations and back story when 99/9% of the time none of it really matters to closing a deal ... that's just the way it is.

There's also no need to turn it into a punishable offense or read any deeper into it.

GLDP

I've actually scored big time on ads like these but to be honest, it was people who know that I'm a collector and maybe they're getting on in age and sought me out on facebook. I've always been fair though with an offer though.

Henry Terry

I think that many people sell things that have sentimental value for them even though they no longer want to keep those things.

I remember that in 1977, I bought a 1969 Fender Dual Showman head and a homemade 2x15 cabinet from a guy who had bought the Fender new, had made the cabinet and had used them to gig for a few years. However, he no longer was interested in playing the guitar. After I had paid him and he had helped me take the head and cabinet to my car, he told me he was glad that he had sold them to ME, because I really seemed pleased to get them and he felt that I would treat them well, which I did.

In 1980, I decided to sell them to get something smaller. I was pleased that the guy who bought the Fender head was really excited to get one.

I often sell guitar equipment simply because I no longer use it, and I am a reverse pack-rat - I can't stand to have something around that I no longer use. I have put ads in Craigslist on occasion giving things away, just to get rid of them.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I get selling something that’s just sitting around. It’s probably a good or even great guitar. I hate just letting it sit there when I could sell it and turn it into something useful. I doubt if I would advertise that way though. It’s really no ones business why I am selling it unless it’s defective in some way . Rarely does anyone ask why I’m selling it . They understand it’s business, not personal.

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Just cause you can't relate to that feeling does not make it a pitch. Oh, I'm sure it can be just a sales pitch. But I've felt that way often enough to recognize the validity of the feeling. I've sold several fine guitars because I just couldn't stand seeing them not get played nearly enough.

skydog

How about the seller that demands to be first in line if the new buyer ever decides to sell?! Designed to instill faith in the buyer that he can always get his money back! Another ‘load of crap’!

skydog

Just cause you can't relate to that feeling does not make it a pitch. Oh, I'm sure it can be just a sales pitch. But I've felt that way often enough to recognize the validity of the feeling. I've sold several fine guitars because I just couldn't stand seeing them not get played nearly enough.
When you complete such a sale, is it with a minimum use proviso? Have you ever followed up with the new owner to ensure the guitar is getting played? I don't understand how this works. Is it on the honor system?

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
“This is the most amazing guitar that I have ever played, but I have to let it go”

If it was the most amazing guitar you have ever played, you would do what you needed to keep it!!!!

skydog

“This is the most amazing guitar that I have ever played, but I have to let it go”

If it was the most amazing guitar you have ever played, you would do what you needed to keep it!!!!
And it wouldn't be suffering from a lack of playing time!

KiddBilly

Eh, some players just really feel that way. I've felt that way before myself. A perfect example was my situation with a 77' Ibanez Les Paul Custom that I had about a year ago. I played it a lot initially, only to kind of stray away from it after awhile as I started GASing for other stuff.

Just wasn't what I was into at the moment anymore, yet I knew it was a pretty solid guitar. Figured someone else would get a lot of enjoyment out of it for the same reason. So I sold it off, and the guy who got it (last time I checked) is getting plenty out of it.

In 2004 I got a random email from someone I didn’t know. He said he got my email address from my Orange amp forum profile and that he had a 1971 Plexi front Orange head (extremely rare and desirable) in near mint condition that he was looking to sell.

He said he saw my posts on the forum and he could tell that I really appreciated these amps and he wanted the amp to go to someone like me. He said he’d give me a great price on it.

I called him and we talked for a bit. Could he send me some pictures? No, he didn’t have a camera. Could I at least hear it over the phone so I knew it was working right? No, he didn’t have a cabinet anymore. Did he have PayPal? No, I’d have to send him a check or MO. It sounded sketchy as hell, but my gut was telling me he was legit. I told him I’d take it, but it would be a few days until I could get to the post office for a MO. No problem. That was Wednesday afternoon.

Friday I dropped a MO in the mail and laughed at how stupid I’d feel if I was getting played. On Saturday, there was a knock at the door. The FedEx guy had a package for me. Confused, I signed for it, took it in and opened it up. There in the box, was a 1971 Plexi panel Orange head in near mint condition.

Not only did he ship the amp out before the MO arrived, but he sent it from CA to CT expedited shipping. It’s not a guitar, but sometimes people really do care who their gear goes to.

That amp is too loud for me these days, and I plan on selling it after Covid calms down. As with the guy I bought it from, I want it to go to someone who will use it and appreciate it.

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
- “People who say this do so for cynical reasons”
- “I say this sometimes and I mean it sincerely”
- “You are lying”

^ this thread

dblazer

Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes you buy a great guitar that doesn’t get into the regular rotation for some reason, you have it for 20 years and then you “re-home” it, part of it is that you want someone to give it the attention you thought it deserved.

gigs

Humans are amazing in their complexity. Trying to extract intent from a few sentences is certainly a fool's errand.

Trending Topics