• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

"Only Selling Because This Guitar Deserves To Be Played"

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
When you complete such a sale, is it with a minimum use proviso? Have you ever followed up with the new owner to ensure the guitar is getting played? I don't understand how this works. Is it on the honor system?
Cute.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Why is so important why others sell their guitars? Who cares. You try it out in person , so you’ll know if you want it or not. People sell guitars for a host of different reasons. One persons trash is another’s treasure. I once sold an amp shortly after I bought it because I hated its tone . The other person texted and said he loved the amp..... go figure.

Henry Terry

“This is the most amazing guitar that I have ever played, but I have to let it go”

If it was the most amazing guitar you have ever played, you would do what you needed to keep it!!!!
I disagree with you. Sometimes, a person is in dire financial straits and MUST sell something that the person holds dear. It happened to me in 2012.

In March, 2005, I bought a new Jackson SLSMG. I liked the guitar so much that two weeks later I traded in my other guitar, a G & L Legacy, for a second SLSMG, thinking that I would keep both guitars for years in order to have a backup.

In 2012, I lost my job and had to liquidate $ 10,000 worth of guitar-related equipment - including a prized Marshall stack with a JCM900 2100 SL-X head - in order to pay the rent and eat. Eventually, I was down to the two SLSMGs. I sold one of the SLSMGs, which had cost me $ 1,000, for $ 300.

The other SLSMG remained my guitar until three months ago when it finally broke after 15 years. Rather than fix it, I sold it to my former guitar teacher who wanted it and could fix it. I then bought an Ibanez JIVA10, which I consider to be an updated version of the SLSMG.

Attachments

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I disagree with you. Sometimes, a person is in dire financial straits and MUST sell something that the person holds dear. It happened to me in 2012.

In March, 2005, I bought a new Jackson SLSMG. I liked the guitar so much that two weeks later I traded in my other guitar, a G & L Legacy, for a second SLSMG, thinking that I would keep both guitars for years in order to have a backup.

In 2012, I lost my job and had to liquidate $ 10,000 worth of guitar-related equipment - including a prized Marshall stack with a JCM900 2100 SL-X head - in order to pay the rent and eat. Eventually, I was down to the two SLSMGs. I sold one of the SLSMGs, which had cost me $ 1,000, for $ 300.

The other SLSMG remained my guitar until three months ago when it finally broke after 15 years. Rather than fix it, I sold it to my former guitar teacher who wanted it and could fix it. I then bought an Ibanez JIVA10, which I consider to be an updated version of the SLSMG.
This is true and you are correct! Sometimes life throws you the curve balls that you don't expect and thus have to make some serious adjustments for that. I have had to do this as well.

I probably should have been more specific in my response. Glad you have another nice guitar to enjoy now and be well!

markmann

Ha ha, you never hear anyone say "I'm selling this guitar because it never gets played. I have 15 other guitars and this is my least favorite."

kakev

It tells me there’s something wrong with the guitar. If it was such a gem, it would get played. That covers 99% of the cases and I cant be ****ed to find that 1%.

How about ”set-up by professional”? To whos liking? Yours or that unnamed professionals liking (who’s more like your friend or you but you did such a piss poor job and try to blame someone else). I understand if the frets are just levelled and polished and nut in a tiptop shape, but mere setup is not worth anything if you ask me. I can work the trussrod, play around with string height and even set the intonation thank you very much.

kakev

This threads seems to have solid representation from the "yells at clouds" crowd.

I don't care what "pitch" someone uses, if they over share, or are "cheesy" in their ad. I care that the guitar is accurately represented, is reasonably priced, and that I want it.

With that said, by being respectful, open, and kind with someone who has an emotional attachment to an instrument they are selling; you might actually connect with that person on some level. When that happens, they might be more accommodating towards you.
And in case you’re the seller you expect the buyer to be more accomodating towards you when you’ve made the connection right? ;-)

metrokosmiko

Why would anyone rant about this is what I don't really get.

We've all been that guy selling a guitar, and often it's a guitar we like but can't justify having around.

CaptNasty

It tells me there’s something wrong with the guitar. If it was such a gem, it would get played. That covers 99% of the cases and I cant be ****ed to find that 1%.

How about ”set-up by professional”? To whos liking? Yours or that unnamed professionals liking (who’s more like your friend or you but you did such a piss poor job and try to blame someone else). I understand if the frets are just levelled and polished and nut in a tiptop shape, but mere setup is not worth anything if you ask me. I can work the trussrod, play around with string height and even set the intonation thank you very much.
Really? 99%? Kind of like 87% of all statistics are made up?

I have a production USA Jackson Soloist. Guitar is fine. Nothing wrong with it. i play it all the time. Then I order a custom shop Jackson Dinky. This instrument has mojo. I play it most of the time. The Soloist falls off To a distant second. Then I order a custom shop Jackson Soloist. It has some serious mojo too. Now the first soloist is getting no play time.

What do you do? Hoard the soloist? Sell it? It is a pretty big assumption to think that just because a guitar is being sold there are issues.

Alternatively, I buy a Les Paul. I want to try get a Les Paul into the mix. At the store it is ok, I commit to try to work it into my rotation. 3 days after I get the guitar home, I find that I have no desire to play it.

What do I do? Keep the guitar so that someone does not tell themselves stories and judge me? Or do I not give a damn about what people may think and sell it. Again, nothing wrong with the guitar. I choose to sell.

And that is the thing about threads like this one and the people who are all up in other peoples business: you have no clue of what is really going on with these sellers and it does not distill down to a single simple reason people approach a sale in this way. You tell yourselves stories, judge people, and act like you’ve got it all figured out.

Why does someone doing something you cannot get your head around warrant derision and a public flame thread on a busy internet forum? This says more about those who judge than it does about the seller who is being judged.

Last edited:

OM Flyer

Funny to watch the animosity build over the OP's three innocuous questions:
  • Why do people care what happens to their guitar after they sell it?
  • Does this approach make the guitar seem more desirable to buyers?
  • How does the seller know it isn't going to just sit in someone else's closet?
Carry on with the indignation... :bitch

CaptNasty

Funny to watch the animosity build over the OP's three innocuous questions:
  • Why do people care what happens to their guitar after they sell it?
  • Does this approach make the guitar seem more desirable to buyers?
  • How does the seller know it isn't going to just sit in someone else's closet?
Carry on with the indignation... :bitch
Oh please, you started this thread knowing how it would play out. All a thread like this is good for is entertainment.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Is this a complaint about how people create a listing with a little bit of a human touch?

Many people create listings with a story or an emotional pitch for the guitar. Pretty darn normal if you ask me.

Many people just state info about the instrument and that’s fine too.

OP how do you list your sales?
Do you give info about how the guitar came to you?
Do you State how long you’ve had it and why you’re selling?

OP when someone states: Thinning the herd
Deserves to be played
This the best _____ I’ve ever had and it pains me to sell it...
What chance does that listing have to sway you against purchasing based on your disdain of those stories?

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't know that I ever put that in a listing, but I had my DGT for sale for a long time and ultimately traded it basically on those grounds. I don't play it. It's a great guitar. Someone should.

I get it.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member

Really ? Where did you pull..er get your statistics from? do tell . Any how , anyone who has sold guitars in the past who have never sold a guitar that was actually a great guitar ( just not what they want at the moment) are talking out of their rectum or havent really sold any guitars that they bought. I sold a perfectly good 335 because the one I just bought had a neck that fit me better and I hate redundancy.

Sometimes lowballers like to think the only reason the seller is selling is "because something wrong", but really they are trying to use that narrative to lower the price below what is a fair price.

OM Flyer

Is this a complaint about how people create a listing with a little bit of a human touch?
Not complaining. Just curious why people do it.

OP how do you list your sales?
Specs and condition, lots of photos.

Do you give info about how the guitar came to you?
Nope.

Do you State how long you’ve had it and why you’re selling?
Nope

OP when someone states: Thinning the herd Deserves to be played This the best _____ I’ve ever had and it pains me to sell it...What chance does that listing have to sway you against purchasing based on your disdain of those stories?
LOL @ "disdain." It has very little bearing on whether I'll ultimately purchase, but I'll be forearmed should I enter into any communication or negotiation.

Last edited:

OM Flyer

Didn’t feel the need to judge you did I? Said you knew how it would play out.

And you did know. Why don’t you add a poll: “Is my title click bait?” And prove me right?
Nothing to get upset about, friend. If you don't like the topic or the thread, feel free to ignore it.

Trending Topics