ooh!! ooh!! I just found a cool site!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gainiac, Sep 20, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

2. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Very cool, just what I needed.
    Thanks!!

3. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I'm not as tone deaf as I thought I was! Cool

4. Liquid Sunshine

Liquid Sunshine Member

That's GREAT! Exactly what I needed. Thanks for the post and link

5. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

That is a cool site. Its about time I found something like this online.

Thanks!

6. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

Im using firefox and it says i am missing the apple plug in , but im not...any ideas how to fix this?

7. Mita

Mita Member

8. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

jdiesel77: You could try going to firefox and downloading / installing the plugin again. Another option (if you are running Windoze) is to use gasp! Internet Explorer.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Started from the beginning, did 10 and moved on to next one.

After I graduated college and 3 yrs of sight singing/dictation, I may have gotten 10 correct before making a mistake (maybe), after Burge course, you can see the results for yourself:

188 right of 189 Sorry! You are wrong
    try next one

Just demonstrating how good the Burge relative pitch course is.

10. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

so u are sayng perfectpitch.com really does work?

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

I wrote a big treatise on both courses awhile back.

Too lazy to do it again right now.

I am talking about the Relative Pitch course, not the Perfect Pitch course.

I highly recommend the relative pitch course, as you can see from my results above it really works. I'm pretty sure I could've made 200 in a row but was interupted. I'm not musically inclined by any stretch but I am a hard worker. Point is, if I can do it, anyone can as long as you put in the time.

12. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

appreciate the info thanks!

13. EvilTwin

EvilTwin Member

Try opening the Quicktime control panel, then switch to the Browser tab, click "MIME Settings..." and check MIDI under the audio file formats. I had the same problem and that fixed it for me.

14. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

twin thanks very uch worked like a charm!

15. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

Re Burge method. Does this guy get to the point? I have the Perfect Pitch method & he has some very good techniques. However, he is extreemly verbose & I'm sorry but the presentation is childish. The sample first Relative Pitch cd is the same way. I want to buy this series but I'm not interested in listening about "rocks in streams" or "colors" repeated 15 times. Also, his general explanation of intervals is very insufficient, ie the relationship of G# & Ab in the key of C.

I have found that by fast forward one can get to the point. Is it worth it or should I look elsewhere?

16. lhallam

lhallam Member

Sometimes he makes me cringe. I don't consider his method childish though. He's very thorough most likely because he is trying to reach a large audience.

I would recommend the relative pitch course, it's hard frigging work and not a lot of fluff. Basically it's learning ALL the intervals and ALL the chords.

First he explains a concept, tells you how to practice and then drills you. You can skip right to the drills if you already know the interval and/or chord BUT be sure you follow his instructions concerning passing and failing.

Yeah his manner can get on your nerves, I've been known to scream some unkind things at him through the CD player.

I took ear-training for 4 yrs in college and Burge's course is far superior to the methods I was taught in college. There may be other/better/more suited to you courses out there, dunno. Do know that I can hear any interval up/down/melodically/harmonically to a 9th as fast as you can play it with pretty good accuracy. Same goes for a large number of chords.

17. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I bought that course about 10-12 years ago when I was in college and never followed through with it. I was just about to buy it again and I figured I'd email them to see if they will "cut me a deal" since I've already purchased it. I think I'll try it and spend some time with it based on your review. I remember it making sense in theory, but I didn't invest any time with it.

18. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

I bought the Burge relative pitch course on eBay after reading lhallam's review ($110 shipped - great deal I think). I'm only on 5ths - so its early - but I love it. I think it will really help my ability to improvise melodies; I really appreciate how he talks about the way most people only hear the top note in a chord. I think it will be great if I can get to the point where I 'hear' all 12 notes over any chord.

For some reason though when I hear his voice I picture John Mark Karr. If I can put that visual out of my mind I think I'll really enjoy this course!

19. Skip62

Skip62 Member

I believe if you work at training your ear you can get better, mine is just from playing. But I have to know, who long have you been working at it?

Thanks for the review, I've been watching thread. I'm just not ready to part with that much money. There are other ear training courses and software out there, so I'm just trying to make the most of my $$$'s.

Thanks,
    Skip