"Ooh, piece of candy..."

You ever see that Family Guy where they make a candy trail for Mayor Adam West and he's enthralled by each and every piece of candy? He's says something like: "Ooh, piece of candy!... Ooh, piece of candy!...Ooh, pieced of candy..." Over and over again...

Well, that's how I feel about guitars. And specifically, NGD. Pretty much, as long as you don't post something pointy or snaked skinned (I'm not judging), I'm going to think to myself: "Man, that's awesome, I want one of those."

Even if it's something I already have, just in a different color. I'll still think that I should have went with whatever finish your posting. And even if it's something I already owned before, I'll think, "I shouldn't have sold that."

I convince myself that I just need one Tele, and one Strat. Then I want one maple and rosewoood of each. I want a burst finish Les Paul and a black beauty and a goldtop. I'd like a flame top of this, a quilt of that, and something plain in this.

It never stops. I want them all. I can buy a guitar and a week later already be thinking about what I want next. Without fulling experiencing what it is I just bought. And I would guess that, even if you gave me everything I could possibly want, I'd somehow find a way to want more. ie I should change these pickups for these, and I wonder what Jumbo frets would be like in this...

I don't know where I'm going with this or why I'm sharing it. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious for a lot of member on a guitar message board. But it just hit me as I was salivating over the umpteeth NGD. It never stops...

I'll take one of everything, and then second guess if I indeed got a "good one", and then come the upgrades...

I fear the internet, and specifically sites like this one, are only further leaving a candy trail that I'll never complete.

StratoCraig

Thanks, you make my GAS seem so minor in comparison. I feel better already. Even if I have already been thinking of buying a second Jazzmaster to go with the one I bought barely two weeks ago.

Krausewitz

I feel the same way. I 'want' pretty much every guitar. When it comes down to actually making a purchase with my pretty limited funds however, well, reality sets in pretty fast! Sure I want a Duo Jet w/ Dynas, a vintage SG, and a custom HSS Strat, but I don't have money for any of them, so....there we are.

Fortunately being covetous is only expensive if you act on it. I have three guitars and, in reality, I'm pretty happy!

Creepwood

Same here, and the worst thing is that nothing about me, my situation or my playing justifies this - I'm just a bedroom hack, for crying out loud, why would I want to own a bunch of boutique gear??? But I can't reason with my brain :D
Eh, there are more ruinous hobbies. I'm also really into watches, for example, and I have to actively keep myself from visiting the relevant sites and following Baselworld news...

Serenity

Thankfully i've grown out of the desire to own a massive collection of guitars. A couple of good electrics and a good acoustic and i'm happy.

rsm

I have too many guitars already, but every now and then something gets added. My most recent was due to several factors: price, discontinued model and the last guitar was damaged in shipping by UPS and seller accepted the return. The NGD thread dropped like a rock here, not surprisingly since it was one of these: :D

scott944

I feel the same way. I 'want' pretty much every guitar. When it comes down to actually making a purchase with my pretty limited funds however, well, reality sets in pretty fast! Sure I want a Duo Jet w/ Dynas, a vintage SG, and a custom HSS Strat, but I don't have money for any of them, so....there we are.

Fortunately being covetous is only expensive if you act on it. I have three guitars and, in reality, I'm pretty happy!
Me, too. As I get older, and more tuned into what I want my guitars to feel like, the 3 I'm rockin' now seem like they are all I'll ever need. Maybe...:D

Guitarworks

On those days when you get down to the business of playing and improving your chops, you'll catch yourself thinking: "There's nothing I can do on that (guitar you tried at the shop) that I can't do on my (guitar you already own)"

That's always been enough to snuff out my gear lust.

Trending Topics