Oooh...the real Jimmy Page amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MoRawk, Feb 6, 2006.

1. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

4. cameron

cameron Member

Maybe not. Still a pretty cool little amp, though.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You know, I don't really understand why this kind of stuff is desirable. If JP didn't play one nobody would give them a second look.

Likely, the reason JP used it was he had limited funds, which was the case for many bands of that era, ie: Hofner basses and Paul McCartney. JP and others used what they could afford, not what was the best quality.

Today we have folks like Roccaforte, Gries and many others providing us with superior tools to get the tone we want.

Take inspiration from Page and then create your own sound. The man is a master but unless you're in a tribute band and have no interest in your own identity, spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty fascinated by old Supros & the like. I don't give a fig about the Page connection, although I know they were pretty popular with the rockabilly set. My understanding is they have a pretty unique tone, and the ones that have trem are particularly cool.

But, then, I like funky, unique stuff. That was part of the original appeal of my Swart AST, so it's not like I'm 'above' modern, handmade stuff.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Thanks, Crazy

I can certainly appreciate your position here.

8. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Member

Hell yeah! I have a '60 Gretch 6156 Playboy that I gig with. Pretty much the same circuitry as that one on e#bay. Its got a nice tube tremelo circuit. Its got MOJO. I have a Cele vintage 10 in it. I crank the hell out of the little sucker. It gets unique tones clean or ratty. I use it with my other amps onstage. It adds unique presence when blended in too.

Sounding like Page is the farthest thing from my mind. I sound like me with whatever I plug into.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Thanks, Tommy

Let's hear more!

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

Actually Pagey was a Session Guitarist way before The Yardbirds let alone Led Zeppelin - he had a three pick up Lester Custom at a very early age. He appeared on the TV show Blue Peter at age 12 - not playing guitar though....
    Am I right he played the "lead" on Them's "Here Comes' the Night"?

Best, Pete.

11. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

I think for me, the Page connection is just for the fun of it. If the amp sounds good, knowing that it's semi-collectible and that people have interest in the amp because of the connection is icing on the cake.

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

I emailed this guy and he could offer no proof Page ever used this model. I have owned a Supro Vibra Verb, a 16T, a Thunderbolt and now own a Big Star. I have done a lot of web searching to find just which Supro Page used and have found nothing.

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I don't think anyone has been able to say for sure which supro model he used.

Page or no page, they're very cool sounding amps.

14. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

+1

Its the only amp i've kept throughout the years, and i've unloaded tons of vintage fenders, etc. Mine has a 10f150T in it and it louder than heck for a little 1x10. It's probably going to the grave with me....they are nice little amps. Not laden with features, but if you like using your volume knob and a little booster pedal, they have alot to offer in the tone department IMO.

15. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Welp, someone corrected me...that isn't a Supro Coronado heh.

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Didn't Jimi play one of these, also? (a Thunderbolt)

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Bosstone, what did you think of the 16T? I've come close to pulling the trigger on one of those a couple of times, but never quite done it. (I got outbid last time. :( )

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Personally, the Page connection means little to me. I like his music, but do not aspire to his sound. Supros, that's another story. These amps (and gretschs, silvertones, guilds, valco/nationals, sanos, custom craft, so many others) are all over the place sonically, but all worth trying.

I checked out a bunch in NYC the other day. Several flavors of 15" supro, a premier club bass amp (with 15"), several other wacky amps I can't even remember the model numbers on. One -- a gretsch executive -- would have come home with me had it been in better condition.

It's not as much fun with prices spiralling upward, but the surprise factor is the best. You plug into some beer-splashed, totally obsolete and trashy little thing, and holy christ, what's that?? They are seldom loud enough, but man, some of these amps sound stupid good.