Ooops! I Did It Again.(Carol-Ann content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeye17, Jan 10, 2008.

1. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I gave in to GAS and got on the waiting list for a Carol-Ann OD2 50 watt head(Hot version). I blame you all for talking me into this!!!! :dude

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I would like to see Jaleel White in character as Steve Urkel singing Britney Spears' "Oops, I Did It Again." That would be so funny and wrong at the same time.

Congrats on the amp.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i guess that means that alan is taking orders again. popularity was so great and backlogs so long that he had suspended taking new orders.

with whom did U place the order?

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Don't sell your JVM yet!

5. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Through the website at the email Alan provides. They're about caught up on existing orders I guess. Mine should be ready in April.

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

that's excellent. i've been waiting since august for my C-A and we're just putting the final touches on getting the amp together. i wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that back orders will be greater than 6 months in no time flat. the C-A OD2 seems to be the amp right now.
    still $3200.00 for the OD250?

and...
    i advocate keeping amps that U like. if U have a JVM and U dig it, U'll kick Urself down the road when U wish U still had it.

7. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Yeah, I'm keeping the JVM too. I'm pretty sure it will end up as my backup though.

8. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I here ya, I did the same... I am expecting my OD2 in April as well. Cant wait.. Now I just need to sell some other stuff to make room!

I also ordered mine directly through Carol Ann, although I looked at the web site last night and it now says that they are taking orders in March through dealers? It listed Fat Sound as a new dealer and two others.

9. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I'm supposed to get mine next week. I also noticed Alan's website changed. Is Lance (Wichita) not the dealer anymore?

10. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Here's the deal:

I took some business advice from numerous experienced people including my accountant, my bank manager, my Attourney, other amp manufacturers I am friends with, other Dealers and they all led to same point. STOP TAKING DEPOSITS. Drive the business from the inside out, not the outside in. In other words, if you take say $1000 deposit from a customer, they have bought in to your business until you deliver that product. This gives them the 'right' to phone you and email you whenever they want and rightly so, they should know how and when their product will be delivered etc etc. Even if you have a dealer interfacing, they still have money invested in your business until their product is delivered, only you have added another party in to the mix. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this model for some people, it just does not feel comfortable for me.

So, going forward I have enlisted the services of a small number of high end dealers that want to carry the CA products. A proportion of sales will go through them. There are obvious advantages such as being able to walk in to a shop and try an amp out. This eliminates, to a degree, people buying on a whim, not sure if they will like the product or not and potential returns and the costs associated with that.
    We will also handle a proportion of sales directly for customers who know the product, have tried one out elsewhere etc. The proportion of direct / dealer will vary from month to month.

Regardless of whether an amp is sold direct or through a dealer, no deposits are required. We will keep a list of interested parties and as amps become available for direct sale, we will contact those people in order. There is no obligation to buy and if you pass, fine, we just move down the list. Dealers will do the same, again under the stipulation that they never take an kind of deposit for a standard CA amplifier. That is the only way I will do business with them. I build, you buy, no different to most of the manufacturers.

This will work well because it keeps me driving the business. I build what I want to and everyone has the same ability to buy an amp.

I will also be driving the custom amps. Up until now, I have basically been letting people customize the amps cosmetically more than I should have. This means inordinte amounts of time used up with very little business gain. Plus I sometimes don't think that combinations people want are well thought out or fall in line with how I want the products to look. I want to have well thought out special themes for custom limited runs and will be doing some pretty interesting ones in partnership with some high end guitar builders etc.

The other thing I am doing is getting a couple more product ranges ready for release. Matte posted a sound clip yesterday of one of them that will be a lower priced true class A offering.

One thing I want to make clear is that I will be building 100% of the products that come out of CA. Some may think that is not a brilliant business decision, but this is what I want.

As far as Lance goes, he has been a huge asset to the buisness and has enabled me to supply amps to people that only two years ago were just guitar heroes to me. I appreciate all he has done more than he may realise and I would be absolutely thrilled if he wished to continue selling the amps as a dealer. The pressures of having a business that goes from zero to this level of interest has it's pitfalls, especially when you weren't expecting it. I didn't always make the right decisions. However, I learned quickly firstly how to build an OD-2 a lot more efficiently...LOL...and that I needed to organize my business in a way that would release the pressure somewhat and would be more comfortable so I could concentrate on building amplifiers.

The tranasitional period from going from taking deposits to build-sell is tough as it means a lot more money needs to be invested in to having a a small list up front and ready to ship, but I believe it is worth the short term hardship.

So from the beginning of March products will be made available.
    I beleive all of the Lances remaining customers are getting their amps either bang on toime or earlier than they expected, so things are moving really well and efficiently.

Hope this helps clear things up.

11. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

It does. Thanks Alan, and good luck.

Looking forward to trying out my amp!

P

12. gregc

gregc Member

Sounds like you have a solid plan for your dream. Good luck with it all. I'm looking forward to my build as well. When you get a chance, please respond to the e-mail I sent you about 1x12 cabs/speakers.
    Thanks, Alan.
    Greg