Oops, I ordered again....Suhr incoming

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
About 2 years ago I went through an "exercise" with a local Suhr dealer. The guy is a good friend of a good friend, and trying to make a go at a higher end music store here. I had other friends taking lessons from him and one bought a Suhr Modern. I ended up in there pretty frequently talking with the owner and the guys working there.

One day the conversation drifted to custom order Suhrs, and the owner told me he was considering ordering a custom. I suggested he stick with the Pro series, because if I was dropping custom money on a guitar, it had better be EXACTLY what I wanted, and he was unlikely to pick that blindly. So he asked me to go through the custom spec process with him to see how it worked. I did, and I speced out the Strat I wish I had owned years ago - neck shape and width I prefer, stainless frets for durability, routed HSH but delivered HSS with a couple wiring tricks, no fancy woods, just an inca silver alder guitar with a pau ferro fretboard and roasted neck. After I spec-ed it out, I thought about it for a bit and couldn't not own a guitar that had so much of what I have been looking for in it. Fender doesn't often make production guitars that meet my particular tastes, and even then it would not have stainless frets. I ordered it.

That guitar has been a bit of a revelation to me. Other guitars kind of sit and watch while I play the Millennium Falcon Suhr ("she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid"). The fretwork is incredible, and I can honestly say that guitar has inspired me to practice more, which in turn has significantly improved my abilities.

The downer is I still see myself as a "tele" guy. I've been playing Teles primarily for 20 years. Love strats, but still have a hangup about being seen as a Vaughannabe. My company pays out for unused vacation, and due to my work situation last year, I did not clock an hour of vacation...You can see where this is going.

It will be roasted alder, with a roasted maple neck and pau ferro fretboard. It will be Nashville style with a couple wiring tricks. It will be Lake Placid Blue. And, it will be double bound. It's a sickness....

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
A

The downer is I still see myself as a "tele" guy. I've been playing Teles primarily for 20 years. Love strats, but still have a hangup about being seen as a Vaughannabe. My company pays out for unused vacation, and due to my work situation last year, I did not clock an hour of vacation...You can see where this is going.

It will be roasted alder, with a roasted maple neck and pau ferro fretboard. It will be Nashville style with a couple wiring tricks. It will be Lake Placid Blue. And, it will be double bound. It's a sickness....

srvtele-jpg.46982

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member

Excellent picture!

To explain, 25 years ago I was in the UP of Michigan, completely immersed in SRV. No one else up there was really doing that, but I was seriously devoted. I had a sunburst Strat (well, made by a friend) that I was slowly beating the hell out of, and working SRV tunes into every bar gig I could. I still think Riviera Paradise is one of the most beautiful and emotive pieces I have ever heard.

Then I moved to Florida in the mid 90's. I went to my first blues jam with my Strat. And at that bar in Cocoa FL, there were at least a dozen other guitar players there with Strats and Tubescreamers. Every one was wanting to get up and play SRV. I saw two get into a fistfight over who got to play the first solo to Pride and Joy.

I went home that night, put down the Strat, and picked up an old Fernandes Tele I had laying around, and started getting heavily into Albert Collins. And Kid Ramos. Along with Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, and others. I had a friend tell me I was trying so hard not to sound like SRV that I ended up sounding like his older brother, which I took as a huge compliment.

It was years before I played a Strat on stage again. I still love them, and find them very comfortable (hence, the first Suhr order). But when I attempt to play with others these days, it's one of my two Teles that is getting put into the gigbag.

Mobass

Gold Supporting Member

Nice nice nice. That should be a beauty. I feel an "oops" coming on...damn it!

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent picture!

To explain, 25 years ago I was in the UP of Michigan, completely immersed in SRV. No one else up there was really doing that, but I was seriously devoted. I had a sunburst Strat (well, made by a friend) that I was slowly beating the hell out of, and working SRV tunes into every bar gig I could. I still think Riviera Paradise is one of the most beautiful and emotive pieces I have ever heard.

Then I moved to Florida in the mid 90's. I went to my first blues jam with my Strat. And at that bar in Cocoa FL, there were at least a dozen other guitar players there with Strats and Tubescreamers. Every one was wanting to get up and play SRV. I saw two get into a fistfight over who got to play the first solo to Pride and Joy.

I went home that night, put down the Strat, and picked up an old Fernandes Tele I had laying around, and started getting heavily into Albert Collins. And Kid Ramos. Along with Ronnie Earl, Duke Robillard, and others. I had a friend tell me I was trying so hard not to sound like SRV that I ended up sounding like his older brother, which I took as a huge compliment.

It was years before I played a Strat on stage again. I still love them, and find them very comfortable (hence, the first Suhr order). But when I attempt to play with others these days, it's one of my two Teles that is getting put into the gigbag.

great thread, made me laugh out loud

geoangus

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the order. My wallet keeps me in the used market, but I'm looking for a T as well. Just prefer the shape and tone wise, it would complement the two I have best.

Meant to add, if I could find a T in Seafoam with binding, it'd be over for me!

Last edited:

Last Nerve

There is no magic tone in a decal.
Gold Supporting Member
Thread is useless without pics of your Suhr!!!

:)

Great timing. Can't wait to see the T when it comes in.
Did you get an ETA at all?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom