OpAmps for my BBD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boon, Jul 25, 2006.

1. boon

boon Member

I need help on which opamps to get for my BBD. I love my BBD and I have always wanted to try out other opamps but haven't had the chance to get any. Also was gonna get from ebay but anybody knows where I can get them in Brisbane, Australia? THanx guys. Think so far, I know I'm gonna get the Tl072, LM833.

Oh and about usng the search function, it's kinda difficult as nothing much comes up under opamp and blue. *reminder that can't search for terms under 4 letters.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Try a LM1458 too.

I love what the LM833N did for my BB - a little more open/less compression and a little more hair and overtones around the edges...

3. boon

boon Member

Cool. Yea I like a more open sounding pedal with less compression. Will add that to my list.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

VanStone over at the MusicToyz forum suggested this chip OPA2604AP, I just ordered one to check out.

5. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

The funny thing about the LM833 is that it is not recommended for single supply operation, but it seems to work well regardless.

LM358 is probably worth a try too. It's available at Jaycar, along with the TL072 and LM833

For the least amount of compression you need an Op Amp that will give an output swing as close as possible to rail-to-rail. One that I've found is the MC33172. I have them in surface mount. I'm in Brisbane and can probably find a SMD to DIP adaptor. PM me if you want more info.

Peter
    ClinchFX

6. boon

boon Member

Thanx I've gotta go check out jaycar! I'm in brisbane too btw so which store did u see them at?

7. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

Jaycar usually have these chips in stock at both Aspley and Wooloongabba. I phone them first whenever I want anything from them, just to confirm that they have it in stock.

Peter.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've been using the OPA2604 for over a year now, sometimes alternating with a TL072. I'd say the '72 is nastier/gainier, and the '04 is mellower, very warm and possibly the most "believable" tube sound I've gotten out of my Blue Boy (regular/old model).