• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Open back cabinets, how far from the wall?

TheGrooveking

I was just wondering, as I am sure many of you have open back speaker cabinets and combos. How far away from the wall at home do you keep your open back cabinet? The reason for this is I have been experimenting with moving amps around and with having a few of them, I typically keep them near a wall, but this obviously effects the sound. So do you pull your amp out to play it or do you always leave it away from a wall and if so how far?

I was thinking of changing my amps around so that they all sit at a right to the wall and just pull out the ones I want to play. I know this may sound like a mute point for some, but when you start getting a few amps in your collection, space becomes a premium.

TheGrooveking

markom89

Good question...
I'd also like to see what some folks have to say, as I also find that it really effects the sound...

FourT6and2

I usually keep it as close to the wall as possible (need room for the cable, though).

No reason for this, really. Just what I do for space reasons.

StompBoxBlues

it IS a good question. I remember reading about this in the London Power "Ultimate Tone" book. IF I remember correctly, it was at least 4-6 feet or something, and you may want to stay out of corners too.
I think also you have to experiment. I don't remember specifics but generally they went into that closed back sort of are "environment blind" where open back interact a LOT with the environment and can sound quite different. More problematic. I still love open back, but keep in mind you get about the same DB out the back as in the front (but different EQ I think) and in some instances if the open back is badly placed, can cancel a bit with reflections off a wall if the distance is the same as some wavelengths coming out the front...can be resonant, or detractive.

Creamy

I used to keep a rear-ported bass cab next to a corner, in a closet with no doors. The sound was decent at lower volumes. Space did not permit much movement but I decided to pull the rig further away from the wall. The sound dramatically opened up. Even 12" made a huge difference.

bosstone

You can really notice the effect when you get within a foot of a wall. Just adjust to taste. That is all there is to it. Different cabs, speakers, amps, rooms, walls etc. all have an effect so there is no one correct answer.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm amazed when I see photos of people's amp rooms and everything's against a wall. It makes a big difference. For a similar discussion, go to http://www.realtraps.com/videos.htm and look at the one about how close you can be to a diffusor. And, yes, experiment for yourself.

doctorx

You can really notice the effect when you get within a foot of a wall. Just adjust to taste. That is all there is to it. Different cabs, speakers, amps, rooms, walls etc. all have an effect so there is no one correct answer.
What he said. Look at it this way: Too close to the wall and you won't get the ambient reflection of the sound. Too far away and you won't get any bass emphasis.

jamison162

I've noticed weird sound with my open back 2x12 next to the well. But it's the only practical place to store it and I don't like moving it around or pulling it out everytime I want to plug in so I just deal with it. It's only practice. But sound bounces off the wall, and even back into the cab I am thinking creating some rather weird effects.

bluessyndicate

Silver Supporting Member
and i really find that insulation in the wall that is less that R30 in combination with 5/8" dry wall and non oil based paints really sound great. of course purple wall paint sounds best, with more mojo!

good post...i've noticed my open back cabs around a foot form the wall don't sound as open as when I move them to the garage where they have plently of breathing room.

Trending Topics