open back vs closed back 2x12s...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Russ73, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I was in sam ash today and I saw an Orange open back 2x12 with v30s and it was extremely lightweight, very manageable for my 42 yr old back! Im really excited but I am a hard rockin guy and I was curious if I am going to lose that tightness and focus I love in your typical closed back cab?? the open back is literally 30lbs lighter than the closed back orange cabs and they are stacked differently...thoughts?

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Open back allows the speakers to sing and move air.
    Especially preferable with AlNiCos, but totally not limited to AlNiCos.
    Closed back is more compressed and adds low end fullness.

Some cabinets are available convertible back, so you can run either way.

If weight is a serious issue, have a cab built, dovetail joint or finger joint
    out of hardwood. My solid cherry cab weighs 25 pounds unloaded, 42 pounds loaded with a pair of 9 pound Fanes.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've never seen Orange and light mentioned in the same sentence before :). For me, playing hard rock really requires a closed back can. Open back cabs don't sound right to me for that kind of music.

4. jlb32

jlb32 Member

A open back cab will definitely sound different. Less low end more than anything. I say take your guitar in and try it out.

5. Muffdriver

Muffdriver Supporting Member

carle place?

If you're a hard rocker I think you need closed back. Stoneage and Port City make the lightest 2x12 cabs I'm aware of.

6. Russ73

Russ73 Member

Yeah Carle place lol, I work at 600 old country road down the street and I ran in there today, they want 300 for a used one but I can get a new one for a little more from sweetwater...I felt it was lightweight for a 2x12...but maybe Im better going with 2 1x12 closed back cabs?? I just cant handle the average 2x12 anymore with my back, Im only playing mini or 50 watt heads now anyway because of the weight issues...Ill take note of the lightweight 2x12s mentioned...

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Port City designed 2X12 is a sweet cab, but not really light weight.

As soon as you build with birch ply, the cab is going to be heavier.

Bad Cat started building their head cabs out of Italian poplar and dropped
    an average 7 pounds off the weight of their amp heads.

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

The original Bogner OS 2X12 cabs were available with convertible backs.

Even if you just buy a regular closed back cab, you can always replace the back with
    2 or 3 panels to run closed, semi open, fully open.

9. Russ73

Russ73 Member

One thing Im confused about is that aren't a lot of the hard rock based 2x12 combos open back?? like the mesa stuff and peavey stuff? a 5150 2x12 sounds tight....

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

Mesa/Thiele are like 16" deep ported cabs. Strong low end and the speakers can breath. Good cabs, heavy.

Open back is more typically Fender Combo, Vox, Custom builds.

Open back can be done easily to plans by any decent cabinet maker.
    who will also have the jig for dove tail construction, the strongest corners.

Here's mine, solid Vermont Cherry Shell.
    25 pounds and can totally handle a 100 watt dimed!
    It will keep up just fine with any 4X12.

[​IMG]

There are times you want a tight cab and others where you want a room filling vibrant cab.

I also have $500.00 in speakers in each cab.

The Reeves comes pre loaded with Vintage Purples, about as close as you'll get to a Crescendo these days.

I love both these cabs for different applications.

Here's my oval back 2X12" in front of my Reeves Port City 2X12.

[​IMG]

11. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Open and Closed sound very different... that will likely be your deciding factor.

13. Promit

Promit Member

Orange makes some of the heaviest cabs out there. You want light, check out a DV Mark. Hoooly crap they are nice to hoist compared to most other things.

14. cardinal

cardinal Member

I really like the sound of an open back cab close to a wall, but it can be hard to get the can next to a wall all the time, and even then the lowest notes can sound pretty flubby with heavy overdrive.

The DV Mark cabs do sound pretty good and are incredibly light. Not the best sounding cab I've ever used but definitely workable and wow was it easy to move.

15. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I think my next move is a search for lightweight 2x12 cabs, I know itd been discussed here....gonna google the DV now..thx

16. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

[​IMG]
    This cab pic, from FFTT, is getting on the right track, for a cab that will have punch, and still allow some "breath".
    When you go a bit further, you add a little more punch, like these;
    [​IMG]
    Most open back cabs are far to much "open", to do much of anything beyond the performance levels of a typical combo amp.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

That extra bracing from the back panel makes for an overall stronger enclosure.
    Having a full back panel that is still open does seem to make quite a difference in how the cab projects forward.

Also note the beam blockers were left in place.

The inset handle is trick too!

If it gets scuffed, a bit of Watco Danish Oil and it looks good as new.

It takes more time and materials to cover the cab with Tolex, than it does to just build the cab out of hardwood
    using dove tail joinery for strength and beauty.

18. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Totally different but if you run a bass heavier speaker it can help. I have a couple closed back 2x12s and an open back 1x12 I bring to shows. Gives me the extra chime from the open back and the grunt from the 2x12s. My open back has an eminence swamp thang and it really fills out the sound.