Open back vs closed back vs adjustable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CubanB, Jan 29, 2015.

1. CubanB

CubanB Member

Is there any disadvantages to adjustable cabs that can be converted to open or closed? A part of me wonders why all builders don't make them this way for the same reason that there are dials on the front of the amp. Some people mod them this way, and some builders will make them but overall they are quite rare. I've never played through one, so calling out anyone who has.

Is it just the extra labour or are there tonal disadvantages to having it adjustable?

A fully closed back as one piece of wood vs a closed back that consists of 3 seperate panels?

If there is extra bracing used, to the areas where the panels meet, does this cancel out any differences? Not sure whether to post this in tech discussion or here.

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I think the main reason is most speakers, in my opinion, only sound their best in an open back or closed back cabinet, so having a convertible cab doesn't do you much good unless you also plan on swapping out the speakers.

I love options, but just like the tone knobs on an amp, I find that I usually set them to where they sound best, and then never really touch them again.

3. strings4v

strings4v Member

I haven't tried out enough cabs to tell you the difference between open vs closed back. Open back cabs, a lot of times, help spread the guitar throughout the stage. So if someone's playing drums in the back, he will be able to hear your amp better. I think closed back design helps with the low end thump. Also, for open back designs, if the amps' backs are placed against the wall too closely, you will also be hearing the reflection from the back as well..

4. rummy

rummy Member

I agree with this.
    I have a convertible back cab. I've found that I like it better open, and I have not closed it since.

5. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I have a 3 piece 2x12. I have it closed and will keep it this way with the amp and speakers I am currently using. In the future I may have a set up that sounds better open and will have that option if and when. Sonically, I don't notice a difference between this cab and a very similar one that had a one piece closed back.