Open or Closed Back 1x12?

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered an Avatar 1x12 (with G12H Creamback) to play my Fryette Sig X thru hoping to be able to turn my Sig up a little more to get into the warm tube tone at 'lower' volumes. I ordered it with a closed back thinking that would be better when playing live at the smaller gigs we do so that I can turn my Sig up still, but still be able to mic the cab and run some guitar thru the PA and keep stage volume more manageable. Probably would just have my 1x12 aiming across the stage sideways as a guitar monitor. But I've noticed when playing on my own at home that the closed back cab sounds a lot more 'boxy', and was wondering if I should cut a hole in the back panel to open it up for a more open sound or not. Again, I'm wanting to be able to keep stage volume lower from my guitar rig, while still being able to crank my head up a little, and be able to run guitar thru the PA for even mix to the audience. Guess I'm kind of wondering also if the sound coming out of the cab at the cone (that would be picked up by the mic and run thru the PA) would be any different with closed back vs. open back cab?

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
definitely try it with the back off...then if you like it, you know it's the closed back part and not some other part of the equation...

i had the same plan/idea a couple years ago, and while i liked some of the closed back 1-12 firmness, it does have the boxy thing i didn't love. mic'd foh was fine BUT it wasn't what i wanted to play off of and listen to onstage. it accomplished the modest stage volume (no open back bleed) thing b/c it was so directional, but i still went back to 2x12 open back a few weeks ago after some experimenting :^\

empty71

11w7pea.jpg

25swy81.jpg

Here's an idea ;) Custom J Design "convertible" cab :)

Dan40

Silver Supporting Member
I use an Egnater Rebel 112 cab with my heads when playing at home. It's a closed back design but it has an oval port cut into the baffle next to the speaker. This little cab really impresses me with it's large sound and pretty decent bass response for a cab of this size. If you wanted to keep the closed back design you might consider adding the front port to yours to help with the sound dispersion.

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
With the back opened up it definitely sounds a lot more 'open' and room filling when practicing by myself which I like. But in a live situation, the closed back directional sound might be better for mic'ing and running thru PA and managing stage volume. I should have looked into an adjustable back that would have allowed me to do either!

ksandvik

For stage spill so other musicians could hear what you are playing (assuming no inline monitoring or monitoring) then open cabinets are important. Also there's some additional 'air' that I like with open cab solutions, especially with clean sounds.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Or you could do what I'm planning on doing with my 4x12. Cut a sheet of plywood about a 1/3 of the size of the back of your 1x12 and cut a hole in it to mount your input, paint it to match and then you can have it either way.

GasMask

At home, in a smaller room, the walls reflect the sound in an open back cab. It's a lot different in a big room. Drummers like open back cabs, so they can hear the guitar better. The style of music is a huge part of the equation. For higher gain tones, closed back is generally better IMO- depending on the speaker of course. I have a StoneAge convertible 1x12 with an "M" Creamback, so I can run it either way. I love it closed back, especially for higher gain tones. The bass stays tighter. Cleans are surprisingly nice too. Cranked up with a high gain head, it sounds like a mini Marshall 4x12, tone wise. It's different with bigger magnet speakers. I have a couple of open back 1x12's with EV's, and they stay nice and tight with their massive magnets.

Dad love mom

I've never found it difficult to record a good sound from any open back combo. I have on the other hand found it difficult to get good tones through closed backs. I'm totally the minority though. Everything always seems too bass heavy.

dasparks

With a creamback, I'd go closed. If you can, get a cab that can do either. Best of both worlds. That way if you ever get an alnico speaker you can run it open back. My experience has been alnicos much prefer to breath in an open back cab.

Top Bottom