Open Or Closed back. Help me decide, please.

Zim

Open Or Closed. Help me decide.

Ok, I have a Valvetrain Concord I want to ad a 110 Cab to. Should I get an open or closed back cab?

The combo is 12"L x 8"D x 15"H And currently loaded with a Rola Re-Issue Alinico Speaker. The Ext. cab will house the Original Ceramic Speaker (or vise versa)

http://www.valvetrainamps.com/concord.htm

Thanks for any and ALL input!

guitarz1972

As I understand it, and others may correct me here - a closed-back is punchier, more bottom-end, better suited for hard rock. Open-back moves air more, is less compressed and works well for most anything else.

I've had both, and prefer what I now have which is an open-back cabinet.

Norjef

open back combo on top of front ported closed back cab is IDEAL (for me).
If stage is very small and drummer is very close, I can put combo underneath ported cab.

Yet I've been bigger-gigging with 2 1-12" EV combos for the redundancy of backupness.

JJman

If your looking to keep the 2 cabs together, I'd extend with the opposite of what the combo is. (I don't know if the combo is closed or open.) If you're looking to set each cab on far sides of a stage, I'd extend with the same type as the combo.

Zim

If your looking to keep the 2 cabs together, I'd extend with the opposite of what the combo is. (I don't know if the combo is closed or open.) If you're looking to set each cab on far sides of a stage, I'd extend with the same type as the combo.

It is open. Much like a Fender combo, strips over the top and bottom for support.

clintb

Since your combo is open back, I too would recommend getting a closed back.

Actually I like cabs like Freda cabs because they spread the sound like an open back cabinet but without losing the bass.
http://fredacabs.com/1x10.cfm

I noticed that when you play outside with an open back combo or open back cabinet, you really lose a lot of bass.

wrathfuldeity

get a cab that you can open or close or do 1/3 open...usually involves less than 5 minutes and a screwdriver

Zim

get a cab that you can open or close or do 1/3 open...usually involves less than 5 minutes and a screwdriver

I was thinking this as well, but does anyone know of anyone offering one in a 110 cab? I see it 112 and up all the time, but 110....?

wrathfuldeity

Zim, just build one or go to a wood/cabinet shop and have them make you a box; and have them make different baffle and backs to interchange. I have yet to decide the next winter project of 1x10, detuned 2x10. I orginally a diy 1x12 detuned but then played around with a bunch of configurations and ended up keeping the detuned baffle with 1/3 open back which sounds very open and 3-d.
loaded%20cab%20small%20%28Medium%29.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

Trending Topics

Top Bottom