Open or closed cab for 5 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by XKnight, Jun 28, 2008.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

I recently purchased a Dr. Z Mini 5 watt head. I'm looking to buy a 1x12 cab loaded with a Celestion Alnico Blue. Any suggestions on whether an open or closed back cabinet will work better with this amp? Thanks!:)

2. alivegy

alivegy Member

How are you going to use the amp? Playing at home? Studio? Stage? If you're using it at home I would suggest an open back cab. Using an open back cab means it's going to sound similar as you move around the room. Where with a closed back cabinet the sound will be more focused and there will be a sweet spot to sit in while you play.

3. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

:agree

Some cabs have a back that is removable, making it easy to convert between open or closed. One of those might give you the best of both worlds.

4. Zuper

Zuper Member

In general, I think low-watt amps and Celestion Blues sound best with open-back cabs. Try a couple of each if you can...

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'll be playing at home. I occasionally due some very unprofessional recording too. :) No stage or studio work in the foreseeable future.