"open" sounding...

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Ugh, so tired (incredibly weary) of hearing it!
So one means to say as opposed to "closed" sounding??!!!

Been playing for decades and have seen the verbiage (and fads) come and go. I, for one, would love to see this pseudo-descriptor die ...today!

...off to get another cup o' joe as, apparently, I need to get off the forums for a while :)

Edward

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
To me, "open" would imply a tone with a wide spectrum and little to no compression...and "closed" would imply a narrow, midrangey and somewhat compressed sound.

However, we all know the most important tonal factor is "haunting mids", right ;)?

Brian N

Open sounding is the opposite of "tight" sounding.
Honestly though it's all just arbitrary verbage. Swampy, chimey, gritty, harsh, bitey, punchy, full, etc. They're all just words that mean different things to different people.

Guitarworks

"Open" is right up there with "Air-y". I've also heard people use the term "open, air-y sound" I got the impression that 'open air-y' meant 'non-compressed' sounding.

I guess it depends on what sound you're looking for at that moment. I like compressed and non-compressed sounds, depending on the day and what I'd like to hear coming out of the speakers.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Go play a guitar with a tonezone then go play a guitar with a filtertron. I like both! However one is compressed and one is very open imo. ;)

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Ugh, so tired (incredibly weary) of hearing it!
So one means to say as opposed to "closed" sounding??!!!

Been playing for decades and have seen the verbiage (and fads) come and go. I, for one, would love to see this pseudo-descriptor die ...today!

...off to get another cup o' joe as, apparently, I need to get off the forums for a while :)

Edward

Good to see your so "open" about your feelings on this.
I rarely use the term myself but I understand it and think it is a good descriptior.

Guitarworks

Open sounding is the opposite of "tight" sounding.
Honestly though it's all just arbitrary verbage. Swampy, chimey, gritty, harsh, bitey, punchy, full, etc. They're all just words that mean different things to different people.
Don't forget "chewy" - the most puzzling, vague (and possibly silliest-sounding) description of tones :rolleyes2: ("ooh - this guitar and amp combo sounds chewy!" - followed by loud, gross Homer Simpson eating sounds). At least I and others I know have heard examples of the ones you mentioned.

Krausewitz

Don't forget "chewy" - the most puzzling, vague (and possibly silliest-sounding) description of tones :rolleyes2: ("ooh - this guitar and amp combo sounds chewy!" - followed by loud, gross Homer Simpson eating sounds). At least I and others I know have heard examples of the ones you mentioned.
'Chewy' to me means mid-heavy, thick and overdriven. Les Paul into a Marshall, basically.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Why no haunting top or lows? Only mids seem to be haunting. We've got to clear the air about this dammit !
Good point...but on TGP, it was always the mids where the haunt resides. Have no idea why...but its been that way from day one. Whatever, but my playing is "haunting" too...but in a different way...it seems to scare people away ;). But what the heck do those 'fraidy cats know about tone anyway? Gimme a Tele, a Twin Reverb, and a treble booster...and I'll show 'em who's boss ;). Screw that haunting mids crap!

DavidH

Hold your nose and say something, now let go of your nose and say it again. There you go, you just experienced what we mean by open sounding. It's actually a very good tonal descriptor, meaning the opposite of nasal/congested/'closed' sounding.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
When I think of "open sounding" I think of the super bright tones so many guys chase. Everyone knows a few guys who are like " I put in 800k pots and use a 5 inch cable into a treble booster and run the presence and mids at about 3 o'clock"
I hate it too. God forbid there is any compression whatsoever in your tone. I mean why have that when you can have the sound of your pick attack reverberating across a frozen lake so you can "cut through the mix" :jo
There is something to be said about a very clear, articulate tone but so many people who use the "open" thing are exactly that guy, and from the perspective of a fellow musician who has heard this from the crowd, it sucks.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Each to his own. Terms like that are by nature imprecise. It's perception, personal impressions. Even so, "open" and "airy" mean something to me.
MD

Valtiel

Hold your nose and say something, now let go of your nose and say it again. There you go, you just experienced what we mean by open sounding. It's actually a very good tonal descriptor, meaning the opposite of nasal/congested/'closed' sounding.
Agreed! I actually think open is one of the more clear adjectives.

Things ones like "chewy" i'm more bothered by. :p

Last edited:

Trending Topics