Open Uncompressed Gritty Transparent OD with clarity and some sag

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gallery, May 4, 2016.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I want a new transparent OD pedal for blues and rock that gives an open uncompressed gritty tone preferably with clarity and a little sag.

Amp = JTM45 with KT66 power tubes
    Guitar = Mostly Les Paul, Sometimes 335, Rarely Strat

I don't want to change the tone of the JTM45 (no mid hump pedals please).

What's your favorite OD that fits that description? So far I'm considering all of these:

• Red Snapper
    • Timmy
    • Morning Glory
    • Gainster (a bit too expensive)

Am I missing any?

Steven and Herb Utsmelz like this.
  2. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Typically the Red Snapper has that Mid-Hump; fwiw. The Pettyjohn PettyDrive would be a great selection if your looking for clarity but still retaining girth. The overall clipping and tonal variations are extremely musical and you have no problem with the typical Mid-Hump of most ODs. It brings a pretty penny, if cost is an issue.

Stephen Pettyjohn likes this.
  3. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

4. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

My experience has been that sag and compression in a pedal are hard to separate.

Timmy and morning glory don't really sag.

The Sarno Earth Drive is worth a look though.

Sambone likes this.
  5. Drewtone

Drewtone Member

Sounds like an exact description of the Fairfield Electronics Barbershop OD.

6. la noise

la noise Member

Lovepedal Super Six. Do it! :aok

AceBSpankin likes this.
  7. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Timmy sounds good with my JTM45 RI (6L6s).

8. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

You and I have about the same exact setup.........my picks at the moment are POT/KOT and the Gaspedals Carb. I usually like to run my 45's at around 6 on both volumes if possible, or one side of the KOT can be devoted to that sound if I need to be turned down. Since the Morning Glory and POT/KOT are all based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker the MG would be a fine starting point.

9. papersun

papersun Member

i immediately thought this

triviani and AXXA like this.
  10. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I thought Barbershop, too, but it cuts bass. Caroline Haymaker has a nice a amount of sag, as does the Blackout Effectors Mantra w/low-gain mod--the latter's got a JTM-45 color, but no mid-hump (baxandall tone stack), so I think it'll work nicely (run it at 18v). -E

thesooze likes this.
  11. thesooze

thesooze Member

What is this?

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Got my eyes open to try one of these, demos seems to be what OP is looking for.

13. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Baxandall tone stack? It's a type of two-band EQ where, when set at noon, everything is flat, but cutting and boosting treble and bass affects the (relative) midrange content--I can't begin to imagine how many people on here could do a better job of explaining it, but ... Lots of pedals use it (though certainly not all). -E

http://www.blackouteffectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MANTRA_2page_mar2010.pdf

Auditory Driving and thesooze like this.
  15. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Also, I wouldn't call the Gainster transparent, though it is awesome. The Barber units can be chanced upon for not too bad a price.

16. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

What about the DOD OD250? I think with a Les Paul and a JTM 45 it might be perfect. There is a sweet spot on the gain knob around 1-2 o'clock where the eq of the pedal just gets bright enough while retaining bass. Cleans up nicely and it blends well with a slightly crunchy amp. Doesn't have a mid hump problem either.

fuzzrhythm likes this.
  17. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

18. Drewthemusical

Drewthemusical Member

Not super duper transparent or open sounding, but as soon as you said sag I thought of the Hot Cake. Sorry if this is too irrelevant :confused:

19. zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz Supporting Member

Fairfield barbershop. An exact fit.

Possibly the Small Sound Big Sound F*** overdrive.. But I've never actually played one so I'm not sure

misa and GA20T like this.
  20. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I think you did a good job of describing it, actually. This is basically correct. The stock Baxandall EQ is set up so that noon on both treble and bass is approximately flat. Basically cutting both treble and bass, you get a mid boost. Increasing both treble and bass settings, you get a scooped sound. It's sort of like having a fixed midrange but you cut or boost the treble and bass relative to it since it is inserted into or before an active stage (it's very lossy otherwise).

Incidentally the Treble and Bass on the Looking Glass posted above are not a Baxandall setup. These are inserted in different stages of the pedal rather than being part of one tone stack.

The Baxandall was common in Ampeg amps and a lot of Hi Fi systems. So, you often see it on Ampeg style pedals and it is also common in big muff derivatives as an alternate tone stack.

thesooze and Jet Age Eric like this.