Opening set banter? What do you say before the band starts playing?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Moxsam, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

In the punk clubs in the 70's, the band had their banter down... they'd start by berating the audience and sometimes they'd spit at them. Great stuff!!

2. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Either you're a part of the problem, or you're a part of the solution.....it takes 5 seconds....5 seconds....

3. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Our keyboard player usually says something along these lines:

Good Evening, welcome. We are High Octane and we are this evening's entertainment. We will be here until [our end time]. If you have any requests you can write them on the back of a 20-dollar bill and bring it up here.

That usually gets a few chuckles.

Roark and shane8 like this.
  4. shane8

shane8 Member

- here we are now entertain us

sanrico likes this.
  5. Campfired

Campfired Member

Me: Good evening, ladies and gentlepersons. Hello, Sheboygan. Are we tuned yet? Try the veal and thank our wonderful waitstaff for their undying patience with you, I mean us. We're here to present an award for outstanding hiccups and wrinkles tonight. Don, our bass player, will now do the honors. Don?

Don: Thank you all. Outstanding award for lifetime achievement of hiccups and wrinkles goes to our head waitress, who will undoubtedly swear on a stack of Bibles it wasn't her. That's OK, we're with you in spirit, Pam. Please enjoy the show, and remember to tip your waitress...

sanrico likes this.
  6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I think this is really important and it's something I always try to do. My duo had a gig on Friday and afterward the owner lauded about our performance. He said he always likes the music, but he loves how we interact with the patrons between songs and make them feel a part of things. And that is absolutely part of the plan. My acoustic trio is essentially the same. We all laugh pretty easily and we enjoy cutting on each other on stage and we'll bring the audience in on things and that makes it a good experience.

BUT it's worth noting that not everyone is built for that. I've played in bands that really would have been better shutting up and playing music. Not everyone has "the gift for gab," and those who don't should just get to the music.

Peace,

Moxsam and mattball826 like this.
  7. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

No offence, but I take it you've never been in a band with a person that has the true gift of gab, they are rare and ultra valuable!
    But I agree, if nobody has anything cool or funny to say, or there just no good at it,,,, talking just because you feel you should will always show.

lp_bruce likes this.
  8. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

singer of my old cover band used to say...

"hi. we're (band name). we play other people's music."

and then we'd launch into the first song.

9. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

No...no...just no.

Prof.Fuzz likes this.
  10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Introduce the lead guitarist and tell the audience of the glorious new Boss Katana he's playing through tonight.

mkr1, Moxsam, Gasp100 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

Walk on and play. Talk later.

12. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Typically there's only me in the bedroom, so you know..........if I said something I'd look weird........like I was talking to myself.

13. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I disagree. I don't care how much gift of gab a person has. Sometimes they just need to shutup and sing.

Simon likes this.
  14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Whatever works for you Brother! All bands and environments are different.

lp_bruce likes this.
  15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Sometimes you do, but those with such a gift usually know when that time comes--it's part of the gift. Most people who are good public speakers can read their audience.

Although you're never going to please everybody, right?

Peace,

Simon likes this.
  16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

"Good evening everybody. We're (band's name). Thanks for coming out tonight to (venue name). We want to thank (owner and manager's names) for having us here tonight. We're gonna play some good old rock 'n roll, New Orleans R&B and classic R&B, a little blues and a lot more for you. Don't forget, the cops won't bust you for dancing in this town. Please don't forget to tip your bartenders and wait staff. They're working hard for you tonight. This is a tune by (artist's name). 1-2-3-4."

This takes about thirty seconds to say. Yeah, I know, pretty stock stuff, undoubtedly uttered by cover bands all over the country, right? But, it works. I have it memorized by now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Band meeting tonight. New ideas. We're all usually wireless and walk around the crowd, jam with peeps on the dance floor all the time. Part of the experience of being with them. We're looking at getting a couple video screens for the crowd stuff. Help make it easier for folks farther from the stage to see what's going on. We walk through crowds several times through the night, and they stop us while playing for a couple of pics, or they will want a short FB Live clip. So now I'm thinking about adding cameras on fedoras and run a live feed. I've done that (video feed) with a small handheld wifi camcorder before and piped the feed through the venue network. It was pretty cool. This would be on our own feed. We'll take the banter not just from stage, but from and with the crowd.

My wife does a great job walking around the crowd, taking pics and wifi'ing pics to people. She'll take crowd shots, couples shots, group shots, and they can grab their pics via wifi to their phones, or on break they can get them via our router, or pc and usb, or Google Drive. It's all free..
    It's just cool to catch their moments on their night out. Everyone has cameras in their phones, but few walk around with pro cameras and pro lenses. Patrons love it, Venues love it!

Simon likes this.
  18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

The jury is still out with my new lineup, but we are sounding decent after only two rehearsals (first one with the bass player). The plus of the new lineup is the male singer has a good voice and can play half way decent rhythm acoustic guitar which actually adds a cool tonal layer to the music. For example we practiced "Get Lucky" and the driving acoustic underneath everything actually sounds quite cool so instead of burying it I think we can make this a focal point. Present the new lead as kind of a singer / songwriter style vs. a typical MC "frontman".
    Of course the down side is he isn't an attractive female that could work a room LOL... (what I'm used to back with the old lineup).

So, what do you do?

Gotta start talking about the approach, working the set list to create a vibe that fits the personnel and even force each other to break out of the mold and try and be more engaging.
    But, you can't force people to be what they are not - I say find a way to play to people's (and a band) strengths.
    One thing that we will do immediately is no breaks between tunes and have the drummer always on the back beat, hi hat, something CONSTANTLY driving. This way if you are introducing members, talking to the crowd it's not like you are a comedian on the tonight show (crickets). The vibe and energy are kept constant with the kick, you jump on mic with energy and do your talk and launch into the next tune, hard and tight. It keeps the rhythm going, keeps the show going and gives you confidence to talk on mic to the crowd.
    That's what I'm hoping for and working for!

lp_bruce and mattball826 like this.
  19. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Interesting! very cool that you guys think out side of the box, and make effort to do so.
    Sounds like a great idea for weddings, and could make them even more lucrative.
    Where are you doing this, and what kind of material?

20. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Mix it up. Not everyone is a great front man, but seriously we all play and we all talk. No reason why we can't engage the company we keep. It doesn't take much. I proved this to several guys. Some of the guys were reserved, but it's not hard to say things, open things up and create a mood. Dead air is a NO NO. Our show is designed with intent of when and where most banter will kick in. We get details from people coming out.. birthdays, anniv, wedding announcements, engagements etc. Typically we have at least a minute of announcements. We won't do those and break momentum. It's all about timing.

The other night we had a laundry list of things to announce... from our fans, from the venue owners. During that banter session, we were playing Moby Dick rather softly. We don't do any Zep in our show. We don't do any 80's or classic rock. On occasion we learn blurbs from movies, or songs we never play and use some for background fluff. Couple weeks ago we tossed in Boogie Shoes from KC.... again just play it quietly in the background. We've done Batman theme, Munsters, and others.

Our singer hates anything Brady Bunch. His siblings watched reruns of it forever. He never grew up with it, but hated the repeats.
    So we learned the theme and surprised him. Next thing he does he says ok you got me aholes... now crank it if your are gonna play it! So we play the song cranked and then he sings it in gruff death metal voice. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrheees a stoooooooooooooooooooooory of a dude named Bradeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Not a moment later the floor is semi moshing to Brady Bunch Death Metal theme.

Gasp100 likes this.