Opening the box with a new Suhr

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Srini, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Srini

Srini Guest

Guys...I'm picking up my Suhr Standard from the UPS on the way home to Bethesda from Philly this evening.

Tell me, how long do I let it sit in the box....sit in the case...etc etc...before I can pick it up and play it? I'll put the box in the back seat of my car, so there should be some mild heat inside.

They're calling for 40's in MD, so by the time I get home it will probably be in the mid 30s, an dmy condo is usually kept at about 67 - 68...

Thanks, in advance!

Srini

2. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I would definately wait till I had it at home for a couple of hours at least so that it has a chance to stabalize to the temp...
    I know it's hard, but I actually had a guitar that once was shipped in winter and I opened the box too soon and found 2 cracks on the back...
    Not a good feeling!

Better safe than sorry! Just take the case from the box and let it warm up naturally... put some Scott Henderson on the cd player and rock out for a couple of hours:) then open the case and prepare to be blown away with your awesome new Suhr!:AOK

3. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

looking forward to the pics....!!! not of the box, but the guitar... although, I've never seen a Suhr box...... not yet at least...

4. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Take it home, open it. And take pics of the whole process for the less fortunate among us.

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

The protocol as I have been told is to open the box and take the case out.....open the case for a second or two and the close it and let it sit for a few hours to adjust to the change.......if I am incorrect someone correct me on this...

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

at these temperatures I don't think it is all that critical plus its an electric not an acoustic .. let 'er rip!

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

It's now time to open the damn box.

8. Srini

Srini Guest

I just had to take a peek - oh man!!!!!!!!!!! I had to wipe my drool off the koa!!

Its pretty cold to the touch, so I shut the case. I'm meeting some friends for dinner, so maybe I'll open it back up when I get back...

Srini

9. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

Pics!!!!

10. Srini

Srini Guest

Will take some tomorrow when its light, and when I figure out how to post them..:)

11. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Ideally you should (have) let it sit for 24 hours, but we don't live in an ideal world do we. Congrats and can't wait for the pics. :BEER

12. Srini

Srini Guest

OK...just a couple of initial thoughts. After making an excuse to leave dinner early this evening, I rushed right home. The guitar had warmed up nicely to room temp, so I pulled it out and just drooled over it for a bit. I have to say that the workmanship is really something else - the more you examine it, the better it looks.

The neck feels wonderful! Although, I will admit to being somewhat of a sicko here - even the Even C Huge feels like I wouldn't mind having a little more chunk. I guess I've gotten really used to the Warmoth fatback neck, which is bigger than the even c huge. Still, the satin finish mahogany neck feels extremely worn in right from the start - beautiful! The fretboard feels like I've had it for years. The neck seemed to have a smidgeon of relief, compared to the Warmoth, so I popped in the truss rod tool and gave it about 1/16 of a turn clockwise, and voila! EXACTLY the way I like it!

I haven't had much of a chance to play it plugged in - it is a tad late for condo playing, and I'd rather not be homeless..:) However, first impressions are that the covered SSVs are wonderfully musical, but hotter than the Andersons on the Warmoth. The switching options all make sense, and I can see just about all the tones being usable at some point. But my main voice - neck HB - is definitely there; very round and sweet on the Fuchs clean channel, but a lot more overdriven than the Andersons on the OD channel. Not better or worse, just different.
    Contrary to popular opinion, the split HB tone is actually very nice; and I can definitely see myself using it. It may not be "vintage", but I have no idea what that term means any more.

I'll post pics tomorrow..:)

Srini

13. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

+1 and even more important on a Nitro Lacquer finished guitar!! The Suhr is not Lacquer, but it is a good idea none the less.....

14. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

My box didn't make it past :30 seconds. My Suhr... It will last a lifetime.

JT

15. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

As long as your saliva did not freeze on contact you're ok. ;)

Now let's see that Suhr.

Greg

16. Srini

Srini Guest