Operational/FW Questions about the Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mtmartin71, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Few questions around routing and the load times of the unit at boot.

1) I note there is a main out and a monitor out. I assume you can adjust the volumes for these independently or is the master volume shared for these? This is a big + on my Axe II. I like to be able to adjust my levels for monitor to hear myself without having to ask a sound person or giving that control to someone else. There are monitoring solutions (like Hearback) that give you control of your own mix but we don't have that so I need my own. Our sound man is our bass player for many of our gigs.

2) Any tricky things with the MIDI implementation? Has anyone attempted to pair a Liquid Foot with the Kemper? Did it work OK?

3) Last question...I've read it takes a full minute for the unit to reboot or power up and become operational. That's an eon in live performance world. I could imagine getting an accidental power blip and then being down for a full minute while I wait for it to reboot. Has Kemper hinted at whether that can/will improve in future updates?

2. seranance

seranance Member

1. Yes there's an independent monitor out level.

2. Don't know.

3. It does take a minute for the virtual tubes to warm up. There was mention of it being looked at for a future update.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

3. Some people have mentioned there is a direct correlation between the amount of profiles/rigs in your KPA and the boot up time. I have not tested that and probably now have a couple hundred profiles in my KPA (which I will need to sort through). When I'm ready I will probably backup up my favorite 20-30 profiles/rigs, re-initialize the KPA to delete everything at once and reset, then reimport those favorite profiles before considering playing a gig with it.

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Even empty it still takes 30-40 sec to boot up.

5. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

So what do you guys who would use this live think about that? Doesn't bother me one bit for home use and recording, but for live use, 30-40 seconds is still a long time to recover from a hiccup. Certainly better than 1 minute though.

6. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

I've used it live 5 times already. Places with a proper stage have also UPS and continuity groups, in smaller places if you have a blackout the keyboard player is going to need longer then your Kemper. And that you're the only one having a problem is quite unlikely. I try not to overlook things, I'm not playing stadiums...

7. bman110

bman110 Silver Supporting Member

Ive used mine live a couple of times with a LiquidFoot 12+, worked great with no issues. The midi items available on the Kemper is quite a bit less than the AxeFX so expect to re-think how your going to use it.

I'm currently programming my LFjr to use with it and it has also worked without any problems. With the Jr I can pack everything in one bag and go.

8. Gasp100

How are you transporting your Kemper and where are you putting it when you get to the gig? I asked this on the Kemper forum, no response...
    :huh
    I know there is a bag out there but I think it's only for sale in the EU right now? I have not seen anyone with any clever ideas on stands at this point. There are many examples of stands being used with AxeFX in racks, but those won't work for the KPA.

9. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Flight case, on stage I take it off the flight case and put it on top of it, If is a big stage I steal a chair, put a black drape (always carry one in the cables case) on it and done...don't need to spend money for a stand...

10. Gasp100

Any pics of information on the flight case? That seems to make the most sense. If I use a traditional cab it's perfect, but if I'm going to use FRFR I will have a problem. Flight case seems to make sense for protection and keeping it up off the ground as well.
    Also, if you are using a midi floorboard how are you powering the midi controller? Are you using one of those Rocktron cables that actually has a power connector AND 7 pin cable? Just curious to see what others are doing, might have some gig opportunities coming up soon and want to include the KPA if possible.

11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

ive used my pod x3l and it died mid gig. traded that for another and it died at a gig. my axefx went to no sound at a gig. wasnt a hiccup. it just went all leds on but had no sound (about 6 mos of owning it). had to be repaired by factory. for that gig i use gnx4 as backup.

if its going to happen it will. always have back ups. these are computers not amps, so thats first thing right there. you cant toss computers around, they dont like hot cold hot cold. that causes boards to flex and parts to get loose too. just how it is. theres a reason pros use two of their digital gear in every rig.

12. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

So...is there no way to separate Profiled Amp from Profiled Mic'd Speaker Cab...it's all one, right? The Profile is the sound of the amp/mic'd speaker combined? Is this correct? You know like...sending into a power amp with a plain old Guit Speaker Cab for live use.

Thanks!

14. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Wrong, you can separate the cab from the amp. What people is discussing is how effectively the KPA does that and some colouring that remains after that you've taken the cab out of the equation. Some user is happy with it, some not. I'm neutral because I play only direct/FRFR

15. Gasp100

You actually have a couple of options. The most elegant solution (but currently my least favorite in terms of tonal results on the amp/cab side) is using MAIN OUTs (XLR or 1/4") to FOH, studio console, FRFR, whatever... that has the full signal chain (profiled cab included). Then, you have a seperate MONO monitor out and there is a "soft button" in the Master Output section where you can "disable cab".
    The results so far for me are okay. I still get a little blanket overall, but there is also a Monitor Out EQ that could be adjusted as well. I believe Kemper is already working to try and get this delineation between amp/cab sounding even better.
    What is happening is that people who will be using the KPA primarily with power amp/guitar cab are doing is profiling their amps but taking the FX send from their amp instead of going through the full amp / full cab to get their profiles. I assume people are doing this who don't have a dummy load / line out box. I guess you would consider this a "preamp" profile. Normally you would want this profile going to your MAIN OUTS or monitor out with cabs ON. Figure you've modeled your amps preamp, you are now relying on your physical power amp and physical cab for the rest.
    The other way people are doing it is using a dummy load with a line out (something like a Weber Mass, Hotplate, etc...) and going AMP -> hotplate -> KPA to create their profiles (obviously it is a no-no to run a tube amp with no speaker load). What this does is include the ENTIRE amp, preamp and power amp section. Again, you could send this through the MAIN OUT into your physical power amp + cab OR you could even mate this profile with a profiled that that is already in the KPA, taken from another profile.
    It's all pretty cool, it's all a little hit or miss IMHO. Many good options!
    Also, another option (if you are relying on other people profiles) Is to take a full profile (let's say a 70's Marshall) that was profiled with a 1960a cabinet. Virtually replace that cabinet (on the KPA) with the "cabinet" from a profile that was created DI (ie. someone who made a profile using the FX return or dummy load / line out). Then see how that works - essentially your are replacing the 1960a with a DI signal.
    In my testing so far the best results I have gotten have been using sheguitarplayer's clean EVH 5150 III profile that was done using a dummy load / line out. I took that profile, used MAIN OUTS to a lower quality solid state power amp + decent cabinet and got some pretty solid tones. I bet that profile with a nice tube power amp and nice cab sounds fantastic, and I think that is exactly how he is running his setup. So instead of him having to bring 3-4 amps to a gig, he can bring the KPA + power amp + cab and get it all in one.

16. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies!