• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Opeth: Watershed

hawkeye17

I got this album when it came out a few months ago and it's one of those albums that gets better with every listen. I'm generally have a pathological hatred of Cookie Monster vocals but Opeth is the exception to that rule. The first track "Coil" is just a beautiful acoustic duet with this girl named Nathalie Lorichs singing on the track(what a voice..and she's hawt!). The 2nd song "Heir Apparent" is BRUTALLY heavy, then mellow, then heavy, then a great shred solo, then heavy, then acoustic interlude, heavy, some kind of funky chord vamp, heavy...etc. All in the same damn song lol. Everyone on this forum who just loves great guitar playing and something different should check it out...NOW. It's also a clinic of creative metal riffage. Amazing album. Any other fans??!

"Coil"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flyVdlLUm3g

"Heir Apparent"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Ty-fwB4sw

Definitely interesting music. My wife says I'm not allowed to listen to it, though. :(
To be honest, it kinda scared the hell out of me.

hawkeye17

I had the same reaction when I first heard them but the music grows on you like a weed over time. I love "Coil", that girls voice is just gorgeous. Kind of a sad song about a couple breaking up though.

Janne.M

That album is a masterpiece!
And if You haven't already, get the previous one "Ghost Reveries", it's even better...

swimrunner

The Lotus Eater is such a cool song. The mellow jazz -> prog-fusion break in the middle is absurdly random, but somehow fits perfectly in the song.

The Captain

Massive Opeth fan here.
Watershed is very very good, and has a lot of complexity to appreciate over time, for sure.
My favourite bits are the way the delicate end of Coil segues into teh next song whit that massive rumble, and teh final few munutes of the album. The massive riffs and just superb timing closes the album perfectly, leaving me a bit breathless every time.
There is something on an OPeth album for every member on this board, whether they realise it or not.
Just don't be scared of the vocals, they are not the typical "rabid dog screamo". It helps to have a lyric sheet handy to appreciate them more too.

Blackwater Park is an excellent choice also...Or if you are not into the vocals, Damnation has clean vocals throughout, and is one killer cd.

devilrob1979

Hessian Peel gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. That riff when the acoustic portion ends and the heavy starts again is absolutely monstrous.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Is he still playing in open d minor?
As an overall tuning? Not sure, I know he does some different tunings. Did you see the Guitar World "lesson" with them? he talks about some of them and some of his odder influences.

Deliverance is my favorite Opeth album.

*Edit
I just looked around and the also use a capo on the second fret on some of the Damnation songs....tuned to E or dropped D. I read that a lot if not all of the Ghost Reveries was in D minor tuning.

hawkeye17

Deliverance is my favorite Opeth album.
+1 The lead tones on that album are amazing. Check out "Ending Credits" from the Damnation album too. Big, fat, warm tone but not too much gain. Really nice, especially with the neck pickup on a PRS or Les Paul like here. He's got real nice vibrato too. I love this band because they do melody as well as metal(if not better). They have some absolutely beautiful songs mixed in with the heavy stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_gU9f0W3Q

JDouglee

Great stuff, don't be afraid of the Cookie Monster! After awhile, it's just another "sound"...and there's some tasty acoustic work mixed in there too, very musical band. If you pick up the bonus version of Watershed, they do a Robin Trower cover as well (Bridge of Sighs).

Trego

definitely one of my favorite bands

my critique that many other metal fans have is they often overuse riffs, to the point of monotony, in my opinion.

that being said, there is no band that i've heard that I enjoy everything they do, but I do enjoy many things about many bands.

Thanks for sharing the new songs.

Trending Topics