Opinion: How well can this chip be repaired.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
My luthier called me today to let me know that he chipped the nitro on my AV52 tele. He was very apologetic and is offering to fix it for free.

I’m bummed because that guitar was in mint condition, but I’m not mad and don’t fault him because I know this series has an extremely fragile finish and the neck was REALLY stuck in the pocket on that guitar.

How repairable do you all think this is?

Matters

That’s a shame. It’s fairly repairable if your luthier is good with finish repairs. As a luthier, thank you for being understanding to that kind of damage. Sometimes things just happen and we greatly appreciate understanding customers.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
That’s a shame. It’s fairly repairable if your luthier is good with finish repairs. As a luthier, thank you for being understanding to that kind of damage. Sometimes things just happen and we greatly appreciate understanding customers.
Ha, he said the same thing! Thanks for weighing in.

This is a new luthier relationship so I am gambling a bit, but he handles all the repair work for Fairbuilt Guitars, which also does vintage restoration work, so I know he is not clueless, and frankly my local options are LIMITED. I offered to at least cover materials since I'm pretty sure this would have happened to anyone who tried to take that neck off and he refused that.

I'll make sure I follow up here with results in a couple weeks.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Unfortunate, but yeah, any edge where finish meets bare wood is at risk for chips like this.

The good news is that nitro lacquer is very easy to work with, and anyone with a little bit of experience can make this like it never happened.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
water under the bridge now, but if that AV52 was built correctly then the neck never needed to come off in the first place, there should be a channel between the pocket and the neck pickup to allow for truss rod adjustments without even loosening the strings.

as it is if he can recover the chip itself he might be able to just stick it back on, melt everything together with some fresh lacquer and have it mostly disappear.

eoengineer

Gold Supporting Member
water under the bridge now, but if that AV52 was built correctly then the neck never needed to come off in the first place, there should be a channel between the pocket and the neck pickup to allow for truss rod adjustments without even loosening the strings.

as it is if he can recover the chip itself he might be able to just stick it back on, melt everything together with some fresh lacquer and have it mostly disappear.
It does have that channel, just not visible in the photo. I think he took the neck off to dress the frets.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
Easily repaired. Opaque Nitro finishes are the easiest to fill and color if you're experienced.
Good luck on your project,
Rob

DGDGBD

I learned how to repair lacquer blemishes on pianos when i was college age. It was easy to get the hang of; and If I can do it, your luthier certainly can handle it.

Mr Fingers

Many of us could confidently fix that chip, so your luthier should be able to. I'm sorry it happened. Ideally, a neck should fit closely but not tight enough to bind, and certainly not so tight as to require muscle to remove it.I would have X-Acto'd that edge before wrangling the neck.

RicOkc

I had a chip like that happen on my Surf Green "62 RI Strat. I bought a Nitro pen online and filled in the spot with little effort and looked perfect.

Obsessive Tinkerer

Silver Supporting Member
Your guy seems competent. Accidents do happen especially on areas as problematic as that. With a nitro finish like that the repair should be completely invisible. I get worked up about finish issues too but with this one you'll be okay.

Trending Topics