Opinion on ES 345 ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shally, Aug 25, 2008.

1. shally

shally Member

got a call from a friends mother who wanted my informed (???) opinion on whether she should buy a used guitar for my friend, from the estate of one of her friends..

it is a Gibson ES 345.. stereo.. circa mid 1970's

i dont have any pics yet and her description of it is that," it looks nice"

they are asking $3200.00 for it..

have any of you had experience with the stereo model ? how does the consensus shape up for this guitar and this era ? i told her, on balance, i thought it was somewhat overpriced, but i would get back to her once she had some more info and perhaps a couple of pictures.. it is not going to be possible to play it, but i just wanted to get some ideas of what the informed consensus was...for the sake of argument, let's assume it was all original..

anyone ?? anyone ???

2. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

All things considered, if the guitar is all original, doesn't have any breaks, is fairly clean, and plays like it is supposed to the price is fair, not a great deal but fair. I know that if I personally owned one I would not let it go for any less than that.

3. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I would pass on that guitar. It may not be worth more than $1300, depending on how big of a '70s nightmare the build quality is. For $3200 you can find a reissue 345 built much better than a '70s thing.

4. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

So far I have not experienced poor build quality on early seventies Gibsons. My 1974 Les Paul Deluxe and 1972 ES-325 are really nice guitars. Although some of the new Gibsons I have played have been nice I haven't found any new Gibsons I like as much as my older ones. I also have a 1956 ES-175D and a 1960 ES-330TD. Though with any guitar that costs that much it is always best to play them first.

5. dunara

dunara Member

+1!