Opinion on vintage 30's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BenB1989, May 26, 2008.

1. BenB1989

BenB1989 Member

What's your guy's opinion on these speakers? A lot of people say they have way too much highs and mids and not enough bass.

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I feel they have plenty of bass, its the upper mids that seem to bother me. In the right amp or cab V30s can sound really good. Particularly Bogners in my experience.

3. sliberty

sliberty Member

I consider the V30 to be a great all around speaker. if you are designing an amp, you can design with the V30 in mind, and end up with a combination that is punchy, bright and has great projection. If youa re matching to an existing amp, it will depend on the amp and your taste. For a traditional Marshall tone, they are a little brighter than Greenbacks which are a more common choice. FOr many ofthe boutique amps, a V30 is a great choice. For Fenders, they might be too mid and bottom heavy.

What are you planning on pairing them up with?

4. BenB1989

BenB1989 Member

I think I'll be ordering an Avatar Traditional 4x12 cab with four Vintage 30's. I'm pretty confident it will sound awesome but I just wanted to ask about this before I ordered because of some of the not great reviews these speakers get on Harmony Central.

5. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

I've owned/played a couple diffrent cabs with V30's and they ALL sounded diffrent. It really depends what cab you are putting them in.

I HATED my Mesa Oversized cab with V30's... way too much treble and fuzz.

The Marshall w/ v30's was decent but I could never hold a Marshall together for longer than a couple years.

Orange with V30's is the absolute best sounding cab I have ever owned and played. the sound coming from those v30's is amazing and plenty plenty bassy.

also, this is all playing on overdrive mid-high gain setting comparisons...

V30's are my favorite speakers but it has to be the right cab to get the sound I like.

Emperor and Orange is what I'm using right now both with V30's and its GREAT!

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I had one in a laney LC50 for a while and it had too much high end for that particular amp.

i've played through them in other amps and they've been okay. I prefer the Wizard from Eminence which I think is fuller and more pleasing to my ears but somewhat similar.

7. rrhea

rrhea Member

You might try warehouse speakers. People love his v30s and supposedly they aren't so fizzy like the Celestions.

I have heard a warehouse Lead 80 clone (in fact I play through one at our rehearsal space) and I love it. Much better than the equivalent Celestion.

RR

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

+1 I have read that alot of people who don't like Celestion V30's, like the Warehouse Veteran 30's.

So what amp are you planning on using with this Avatar 412?

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Tone is so subjective! I bought a few of the CL80 clones for 29$ a piece. I wish they sounded more like the real deal. The high end sparkle is missing from the clones. I have hope for them yet. I may modify the dust caps on them.

As for the Celestion V30 I dont care for them live but they sure do record nicely.Bob

10. BenB1989

BenB1989 Member

Traynor YBA - 1

11. ?&!

?&! Member

One of the big complaints about V30s is the "ice pick" high end they have, at least until they are very broken in. Weber Beam Blockers do wonders for V30s IMO, broken in or not. I like them a lot in high gain applications. I have also heard good things about the Warehouse V30 clones. Supposedly, they engineered the "ice pick" out of them. Good luck!

12. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I can't stand the Celestion V30 but the WGS Veteran 30 is great IMO

13. illini

illini Member

I play an 82 Jcm 800 2204 with v-30's in a 412 Savage cab, and love it. The speakers are about 10 years old and very broken in. With that being said, I would be very interested in how the Veteran 30's compare to these broken in ones. My guess is that it isn't worth my money or time, but I still wonder.

14. BenB1989

BenB1989 Member

Thanks guys. I will probably go ahead with getting the V30's but buy (or make) some beam blockers to prevent icepicking.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You will often get love and hate expressed without an explanation- it's an emotional thing:D
    To me, v30's have a slightly rolled off topend, with a bit of upper-mid push above the honky zone, that might be termed bite, but project distortion well due to the top rolloff. They also have a cutting clean sound that can push guitar through the mix with adequate bass. Not mellow, low on sparkle.
    So, handle with care.
    Have I used v30's and a Bassmaster? Yep, a pair, and they rock. YMMV.
    Watch out for cone cry.

16. Dave

Dave Member

My experience with V30s: My ears don't like them but microphones love them.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+ infinity squared!

18. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

great speakers, plenty of bass response. I have one loaded in my JCM800 marshall 1x12 open back combo. Huge, thick tones from this amp. The speaker is really one of the all time best to my ears and they do mic up well in my experience.

19. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Depends on the amp, and uses. I'm not particularly fond of them for my uses, as they can be a bit ear fatiguing, but they do record well. I also like the Eminences Governor as an alternate, with a nicer mid range.

Some amps really shine with a V30 style speaker though, my (now gone) Rivera M60 was one of them.

20. jelyfinger

jelyfinger Member

As stated previously, it totally depends on the application! V30's with a high gain amp sound stellar!