Opinions about the Lava Piston kits...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by your name here, Apr 24, 2016.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I went through a period of not being very active here and may've missed it, but I've seen basically zero discussion about these. A search has turned up nothing but a FS ad in the Emporium...

So... I know what that makes it look like to me... I'll ask anyway. Have any of you tried these? What did you think?

2. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

I bought one of the piston kits on Amazon. Like pretty much all solderless cables, they're pretty much a PITA to put together.

The key is using a utility knife, NOT scissors or wire cutters to cut the cable. Cutters will flatten the cable and cause the connector to short to ground.

I had one bad connector in the pack of 12, but lava replaced it at no charge.

3. your name here

Wow... so only one person responds (thanks, btw!) and still basically zero talk about these, huh?

Kinda makes me wonder...

4. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

No matter what you do, soldering is always better and pancake plugs save more space on a tight board.

I never got the solderless thing because anyone can solder.

MichaelKim likes this.
  5. your name here

Yeah. I can solder too. I don't feel like or have much time to sit down and bother with making a whole board's worth of cables. Especially when the solderless stuff sounds just as good and if made correctly, usually has few issues.

Now, would anybody like to comment on the Piston Kits specifically? The soldered vs. solderless debate has been done to death and really doesn't need to be rehashed here.

6. TEPR

TEPR Member

Seems like you got your answer already...

Mark.B likes this.
  7. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

K.

8. the tourist

the tourist Member

Not when you literally cannot use pancake plugs with a switching system.

9. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

The pancakes go to the pedal and a straight plug to the switcher. Another plus for soldering but we're not taking about that.

10. the tourist

the tourist Member

But then your switcher has to be farther away from whatever pedals are on the jack-side because as far as I know there are no mini straight plugs for soldered cable that are nearly the size of the mini plugs used for solderless. Gain a half an inch here, lose it there.

11. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

It's a good point. I'm working on it though.

12. your name here

Looks like you're right. Haha. Maybe I'll try the Evidence stuff this time around....

13. 909one

909one Member

I've had great luck with George L's. Almost never fail for me, easy to put together and sound great.

your name here likes this.
  14. your name here

Yeah, I've used 'em and they were ok. Too bright sounding for my taste though, and the ends are too bulky.

I pretty much know what else is out there, I just wondered about the Lava Pistons as I've been using their stuff for a long time and like/am already set up for the form factor.