Opinions/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lazy912, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lazy912

lazy912 Member

I have a MIM telecaster. I just put in some twang kings and I'm trying to add a push pull volume pot for phase/out of phase sound. The thing is... in the control cavity, there's this little hump thats in my way and I cant actually fit the volume pot there. The only way I see is to make it a reverse control plate, which I kind of dont want to do because I like the way a tele looks normally.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about...
    [​IMG]
    Is there anyway around that?

I want to keep the Telecaster look without the reverse control plate look, yet I want to add the push pull volume pot. I cant use the push pull as a tone as I have a no-load tone pot set up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

It'll need around 1.07" -1.1" deep right below the control plate.

Do you have enough clearance there?

If not, you can also shim the control plate so it mounts higher above the body top. Just leave out a recess area on the mounting hole for the pot.

I'd route out that hump a little to fit the push/pull.

Actually, I'd take apart the push pull pot, put some nail polish on or cut out the last bit of the resistive track to make it a no-load when turned to max. Then use the push pull pot as the tone control and a full size pot for volume.

And unfortunately they don't make it anymore, the old yamaha push/push no load tone pot would fit the bill perfectly. I wish I'd stocked up more when they were available.

What do you need the switch for btw?

3. lazy912

lazy912 Member

It's a phase switch. I'm thinking about getting a chisel and making it fit, but I dont trust myself that much.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Are you that against drilling a small hole and fit a mini toggle switch?

Push/pull pot isn't that great for volume control, for me anyway.

5. lazy912

lazy912 Member

I'm not against drilling the hole, I just dont like the look of a toggle switch on my tele. Is there any specific reason as to why you dont like using p/p as a vol pot? Helpful advice appreciated. :AOK

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

You can try it and see if you like it. I don't like the tapering (uneven) of most push/pull mini pot for volume, for tone they are fine.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

plus, i think it's a good idea to have the push-pull on a pot that you don't grab all the time, and that isn't critical to the guitar still making sound if it breaks in the middle of a gig. just thinking long-term reliability here.

as for that hump in the control cavity, don't use a chisel, you run the remote risk of splitting/chiseling through the back of the guitar. cut it away with a dremel or a router.

p.s. out-of-phase single coils are going to be damn thin-sounding anyway.

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Or with a bit more wiring, get them together out of phase but in series instead of the usual parallel. Much better output and more mids, still nasal but I like it for stingy blues tone.

Comes to think of it, if you don't mind working with a 5 way instead of 3 way, you don't even need the push/pull pot.

Get a super 5 way which is a 4P5T lever switch and you can get all the stock pickup configurations plus some more.

Neck
    Neck and bridge in parallel
    Neck and bridge in series (the usual 4 way switch extra position)
    Neck and bridge together out of phase, can be either in parallel or series depends on how you wire it.
    Bridge pickup

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

now yer talkin'!