Opinions: Epi Elitist vs. Heritage 150CM

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by currypowder, Jan 18, 2006.

1. currypowder

currypowder Silver Supporting Member

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience/opinions on an Epiphone Elitist LP Standard vs. a Heritage 150CM. I'm considering trying out one or the other. The Heritage is a few hundred more, but I'm reading a lot of good things concerning the Epi's. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

currypowder

2. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I have tried the Elitist. Found it up there with the stock Gibson Les Pauls. But a Heritage 150CM is harder to find up here in Canada than an Amercian who can name our National Capital. ;)

3. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Heritage would be my preference. While some people mention some past hits-and-misses with Heritage quality, I think that they are the real deal. U.S. built by old time guitar builders. They also have a Plek machine, so the fret work on new ones is probably great. The only issue is that resale seems soft on them, so buying new may result in taking a bath on any downstream resale.

The Elitists are nice imported Les Pauls, but from what I have seen there were a variety of experiences with them during the recent sale that MF had on Elitists. If you can find one at a great price that feels good you will be happy, but they may not all be consistent in neck carve and quality.

4. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the Heritage H 150CM. The Epiphone Elitist has flamed maple veneer top. the Heritage is a solid maple cap. Also the Heritage is a nitro finish. I believe the Elitist is urethane. As long as the Heritage does not have that freaky Schaller bridge and tailpiece they look pretty good also.

5. Wally1

Wally1 Member

For the record...The Elitists dont have a veneer top...at least the 3 that I've had. I've pulled the pickups and looked underneath to verify. The Elitist is a killer buy for the money! I love mine!

6. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Oh, and if your lookin for an Elitist, MF has the premium plus really cheap right now

7. retro

retro Member

8. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Someone posted on the Les Paul forum that they had a refinish done on their Elitist and they sanded through an apparently paper thin flame maple veneer on top of the maple cap.

Another factor is that you are likely to get a 1 piece back with the Heritage. Also nicer inlays on the Heritage.

9. vinni

vinni Member

I love Heritage guitars.
    I've got a H535 and played a few LP models......very good.

So I suggest to go for the H150.

Vinni

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I never thought I'd see the day when an Epiphone Les Paul cost $1000.

Anyhow, the Epiphone Elitist is higher quality than the Epi LP copies that I remember from a few years back; however, I'd recommend Heritage over Epi every time. I have a goldtop H-150, and I see them going for crazy low dollars on the used market. Sometimes as low as $500-$600!

11. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Heritage
    1 piece back
    Made in the good ole USA.
    Probably (not sure on this) better resale than Epi

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Is this even a contest?

We're talking handbuilt USA made guitars, by old Masters, vs. Imported, CNC machine guitars with HORRID electronics.

Also if you go through Jay Wolfe to buy your Heritage, you can get whatever pickups you want, tons of finish options, premium woods, AND a phenomenal price. Its truly like ordering a custom shop instrument that you will love and cherish for many years.

My 150CM is now 3 years old, I named her "Old Faithful", cause everytime I pick her up I get a big grin, and she inspires me to play my butt off. I wouldn't sell that guitar for ANY amount of money. Everyone that's played it said that its truly a magical instrument. The whole body resonates while you play, you can feel it tingling up and down your arms.

For me its no contest, both companies are gonna have turds, and really special instruments, but for a couple hundred dollars to get handmade in the US, plus custom options, I'd say its not a hard choice. Go to www.wolfeguitars.com, and call up Jay, and talk, he's a wonderful man, and a true class act in the industry.

13. retro

retro Member

[​IMG]

Re: The Japanese Fujigen (past Orville) built Epi Elitist LP; This is what I have gleaned on features. And I have talked to Epiphone directly. They could be wrong of course as I have only talked to customer service and read other owner's reports and gleaned what I can find on the net.

Kiln dried hand selected wood.
    2 piece African Mahogany book matched body and like Historic's, not weight relieved.
    2 piece carved book matched Maple top.
    One piece African Mahogany neck, 14 degree grain cut with long neck tenon like Historic's.
    Grover tuners
    Nickel plated hwde.
    Same fabrication techniques as Gibson LP's. Gibson 4 wire custom wound pups. Been told these are GIbson 490R and 498T pups. Made in the same Gibson factory, with German Silver covers. Full wax potting. Same tailpiece and bridge as Gibson LP. Same bindings, wiring, pots and caps. Strap pins, pick up rings and knobs the same.
    Thin hand rubbed finish.
    Bone nut.
    Abalone/MOP inlays.

I don't see anything particularly crappy about the build on Elitists, myself.

This is no slight to Heritage. A fine instrument and I've played several.

But this epi elitist can be had for $699.00

[​IMG]

And this one for $799.00
    [​IMG]

The money I save rocking an Elitist is going for a Hayseed.

14. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

No contest, Heritage will always beat out an Epi. I've had my 150 for 14 years and it's still the best sounding and playing guitar I own. Plus the build quality is incredible.

15. currypowder

currypowder Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm sure the Epi Elitist is a fine guitar, but I've decided on the Heritage. I may still try out one of the Epi's if I get a chance, but for now I wanted to give the Heritage a try. I'm buying the one in the Buy & Sell Forum here on the Gear Page, so I'm pretty confident that the price is fair and that it is a top quality instrument.

Thanks again!

16. samdjr74

Good choice CP, you're going to love it and that sunburst is extremely nice!!!!!!

Sam

17. grinder965

grinder965 Member

The Epiphone Elitist Les Paul is a really great instrument. Besides the features mentioned above, they sport a long neck tenon like the Gibson Historics and some customs. The Hertitage is a nice guitar but they are somewhat more expensive and they are not a Les Paul. Right now MF is having a sale on the Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus (in Honeyburst only) for $799 brand new and shipped to your door with a limited lifetime warranty. That's a helluva sweet deal for a really fine intrument made in Japan's Fujigen factory.

18. samdjr74

Hi Grinder,

I understand what you're saying but I don't consider the epi lp's a real Les Paul either. Just because it says Les Paul on it doesn't mean it's a real Les Paul. I'm not knocking them but if I had a choice I'd go for a heritage and my next guitar will probably be a heritage 535 over a gibson 335. In my opinion Heritage is making a better quality product then Gibson right now, plus they cost a lot less and have a lot more options.

just my $.02

Sam

19. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

You absolutely NAILED it.

By the way, I'd put my 150CM up against ANY Les Paul, and yes I'm including the old ones too. Blindfolded, I'd like people to tell me which one is better, AND which is which. And NO feeling the headstock.

20. samdjr74

Hey bluesbreaker,

I do that sometimes too with my 150, I actually had a friend say to me that my 150 was the best LP he ever played and he'd buy one if it just didn't have a headstock that looked so much like an Aria Pro lol