Opinions/Experiences: Godlyke PA-9 Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deville2Rocket, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

What's the scoop on these units?
    I've read some bad press re: the One Spot, but the reviews seem to be a bit more favorable with the Godlyke.
    I don't have room on my board for a Brick or anything, so I'd like to go this route if it's workable.

What are your thoughts?

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I've used both the Godlyke and the OneSpot and haven't had problems with either. I never understand what everyone's complaining about. But, then, I'm sure that some have manufacturing faults, etc.

3. aksman

aksman Member

+1.

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Thanks, you guys.
    I'm seriously considering one or the other. Can't see spending all that coin on a DC brick or whatever when I don't have anything that won't run on a 1 spot or Godlyke.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

So far so good. But there are issue with some pedals (for example, Line6 Tonecore).

6. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

no problems here with the godlyke.

7. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I have both and never had a problem with either. A couple of things i like about the one spot is that the power plugs are angled and the main power cable is longer.

8. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Good to know. Thank you all for your comments.
    So, regarding the Tonecore pedals, what happens when you use these PS's? Is there noise? Failure? What are the issues?
    I have an SKB pedalboard and currently use the stock 9.6v 500ma PS that came with it. I run a Tonecore Roto-Machine along with about 7 other pedals, and haven't had any problems yet. But, that PS gets plenty hot! :D
    Any thing else I should know before this topic drifts off the radar?

9. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder Member

I've not had problems with my OneSpot so far. The Godlyke on the other hand died on me after a couple of uses only. Suffice to say, I'll never get another Godlyke again.

10. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

How many pedals do you run off it? Are they digital like the digitechs or L6's?

11. FAC

FAC Member

Will you be daisy chaining some effects? I have had good luck with both the OneSpot and Godlyke when powering single effects (I did not notice a difference between them, to be honest), but I have run into issues with noise when daisy chaining effects--sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't--usually it didn't for me, although I know others have good luck with them. If one of your pedals is problematic, you can always buy a dedicated OneSpot/Godlyke for that pedal, if the daisy chain works for the rest...that would still be cheaper and smaller than moving to a fully isolated system.

In the end, I moved to the Voodoo Labs one with individual isolated outputs and have not had any problems since.

12. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Good to know.
    Yeah, like I said, I run between 7-10 pedals on the most cramped pedalboard you ever saw... All off the stock 500ma 9.6v SKB power supply.
    Heavy draw digital stuff, too... like A L6 Tonecore Roto-Machine and a Digitech Digidelay. So I'm thinking I'll continue to use that power supply with those 2 digital pedals, since there are currently (no pun intended... LOL) no issues in terms of sound quality, but maybe split the load a bit more evenly by placing all my other pedals on a 1 Spot.
    Does this sound like a good plan?

13. FAC

FAC Member

Sounds like a plan. A good place to start for not too much $$.

14. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Those power supplies can work fine but the individual outputs are not isolated which means if you are in a noisy environment they will pickup RF. This is an electronic fact. Because it doesn't always happen this leads to the confusion that some people say they work great and others have problems. It really depends on the environment you are using it in.

I play for a Broadway Musical Production in NYC and had nothing but problems with the Godlyke in terms of noise. My Crybaby wah was impossible to use. I had to switch to a battery. The 18 volt power pump mad my EVH Flanger and evrything else hiss city. That's an extreme case because there are stage lights and all kinds of different wiring much like a concert situation.

For local gigs in a small place the Godlyke works fine. I keep it as a backup but prefer my Pedal Power mounted under my board.

15. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

same here.... & still using the one-spot years later