Opinions: "inferior" quality 6-point or "superior" quality 2-point trem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cardinal, Feb 27, 2015.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

Looking for opinions, which there's never a short of around here!

Premise: I'm putting together a 7-string partscaster Strat. Please understand that the typical bridge options are NOT available to me, so it won't help if you start suggesting random tremolos to me because they more than most likely don't make them for 7-strings.

I'm debating between using a 7-point trem or a 2-point trem, and these are the best available options I've found:
    1) Vintage trem: eBay special 7-point trem with a steel plate and zinc block. I'd put bent steel saddles on it. Quality looks OK, but you won't confuse it with a Callaham.
    2) 2-point knife-edge trem: 7-string version of a locking American Deluxe trem. Steel saddles, plate, and block. Very nicely made piece.

I want this guitar to be as Stratty as a Strat can be.

Which one would you use? Why?

(I know the title says "6-point" trem, but if I said 7-point everyone would be confused).

Thanks!

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Tough call. I've been playing mostly Strats for nearly 50 years and 2 point terms typically sound tonally weak to me...but, that tonally weak sound I think I'm hearing may be exactly the sound you're seeking. Six point, bent saddles, & cold rolled steel trem block sounds most right to my ears in a Strat...but, like they say, your mileage may vary!

3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

If I planned to deck it I'd want the 6-7 screw. If I planned to float it, I'd be inclined toward the 2 point. I could live with the 6-7 screw floating but I don't like a 2-point decked.

I don't consider my 2-point to sound tonally weak nor to be superior.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Which has more sustain and a beefier sound?

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

Yeah, if I could find or piece together an all steel 7-screw, I'd just do that. That actually reminds me that I asked Callaham years ago and he said he'd machine one, but it was many hundreds of dollars. Hmm.

I never deck a Strat trem. Always floating for me. I don't think 2-point trems are inherently weak or inferior. I have tons of Floyd guitars that sound great. But I have a few 7-point trems on ither guitars that sound great too...

No idea. I have a few guitars with similar, inexpensive 7-screw trems with zinc blocks. They sound fine. Nice sustain. But I've never had this 2-point trem on a guitar or played the 6-string version. I like the theory that it's all steel like a Strat trem "should be," but it's also a more modern 2-point. So I'm just waffling over which to use.

6. jrjones

jrjones Member

I don't like the 2 point. It's a floating bridge so when you bend a string it pulls the rest out of tune.

7. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

In my younger days, I considered the 6pt trem to be superior. These days all but two of my guitars are 2pt. I find they sound virtually identical but the 2pt holds its tuning much better and it is just a smoother trem. And I don't really have trouble with note bending with the 2 either. Unless it's a fixed bridge they will all go out of tune to some degree when you bend notes. My two cents. Go with what your gut is telling you.

8. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

How does that differentiate it from a six-point floating trem?

9. darkinners

darkinners Member

I have both (57ri and AM std) and I honestly can't find a difference in terms of stability. Both are rock solid if you set them up correctly.

Tone wise, I can't tell. As both guitar sound vastly different to begin with (rosewood vs maple board, different pickups, different body material) I think the trem contribute way less to the tone even if it does.

10. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

easy :
    floating = 2
    locked down = 6

11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I, and many Strat players including Scott Henderson, find the vintage-style 6-point whammy delivers that classic Strat tone.

There's nothing wrong with the two-point whammy (especially with the larger block bridge saddles), but it isn't as Stratty as the original. It does add more sustain, IMO.

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Gotoh make the 510 identically except 6screw or two post and the only difference is the two post works better.

13. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

I'm all about 6 hole. But ymmv.

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Matte Henderson used to have a custom shop Fender S7. I am not certain if it was a John Mann trem but it was a 7 screw type. Email John Mann, he'll know the options you asking about.

15. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have run the bridge on my AS pulled tight against the body for almost 15 years. It isn't floating. Sets pretty nice and flat on the guitar top. I wonder why you classify the two point as exclusively floating?

As to the OP question? I don't find enough difference to matter and I have Fender Strats both ways.

hunter

[​IMG]

16. David Garner

David Garner Member

I prefer the 6 point, but it's more a feel thing for me. I can hear a difference in tone when I A/B the two types, but I've never been able to try two identical models, so I'd wager the difference is more than the bridge.

17. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I've used several methods of stabilizing a 2-pt bridge to not drop open strings when bending, including wood blocks, Tremol-no and decking. They all have a negative effect on the beauty of tone. Rencently, when I once again wanted a stable tuning when bending, I slapped on 5 springs and unscrewed the claw screws until the steel block was in the correct vertical floating position. That's the best sounding solution I've found thus far. Seems to be important for the knife under the bridge to be positioned to float. It doesn't lay flat the way a 6-screw bridge does. It wasn't designed with that in mind. The full on 5 regular tensioned springs make it stiff enough to bend away and keep open strings in tune. There are no tuning issues, and the tone has more body then ever. I can still bend down, and with some effort still manage an up-and-down vibrato. No doubt I'll wish to have my smoother working trem again at some point, and the adjustment is simple.

My 6-screw can also bend down with some effort and open strings are rock solid. It too employs all 5 springs but with more tension.

It's a given some will disagree and object to my findings, which is cool, since they're not the ones playing it.

18. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Mine lays flat.

hunter

19. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have Strats with both, and it is hard to quantify any difference since they are not otherwise identical. Both types of bridge sound Stratty to me, and both stay in tune very well when set up properly. If forced to choose, I would probably go with the 7 screw and set it up so that it is riding on the outer 2 (inner 5 backed off about a half turn each).

20. monty

monty Member

I have both but prefer the feel and tone of 6. I do find the 2 stays in tune better though.