Opinions need on options on a new Suhr classic

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Joe Perry, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Just ordered a Suhr clssic with the new SSC system in Alder with an Indian rosewood board, 1088 bridge & vintage style Kluson tuners. Going for an early 60's type guitar.

Do you think the Brazilian rosewood is a worth wild upgrade? All my other S type guitars just have plain (Indian?) Rosewood and one is Pao Faro. I don't know if I could tell a difference besides the way it looks.

I've also ordered the blender option but was wondering if anyone has had their guitar wired so position 3 (on a 5 way) would be the neck & bridge instead of just the middle p/u? I don't normally use the middle p/u by itself and could still have a separate tone control just for the bridge. Trying to "fake" Tele sounds with this setup I guess I could also get a base plate on the bridge p/u.

Thanks for any opinions,

Joe

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Joe-

I ordered a 3 pickup Tele a few weeks back. I ordered with the African Rosewood board. Had one on another Suhr and really liked it. Nice feel - and sounded great.

I don't get the whole Brazilian RW thing - especially with the additional upcharge involved.

3. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Teleplayer,

Thanks for the reply. What switching did you get on your 3 p/u Tele? I think a lot of the "Tele" tone comes from the bridge itself, some may disagree. :) I'm actually selling my Gatton Tele to pay for the new Suhr and then will be Tele-less.:( Thats why I'm trying to get opinions on blenders and bridge p/u plates. I'd like to try and still have a little bit of that sound still.

Thanks,

Joe

4. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I gotta say, I like the Brazilian upgrade and thought it to be worth it. I had an IR Classic and now I have a BR neck that John did for another guitar. There does seem to be a bit of extra 'snap' to the BR tone that I don't remember from the Indian. John might disagree, everybody else might disagree, but this is what I hear. Plus, the cosmetics are a little more appealing on BR, if you go in for that sort of thing, and its seeming rarity might lift the value somewhat. Next rosewood Classic I order gets the Brazilian.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

What do you mean by more appealing cosmetics? Is it darker in color?

6. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

No, mine has some reddish streaks or figuring in the wood that make it a little more interesting-looking than IR. It's not all just dark brown.

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the "too bright" camp. I've had a few guitars with Braz and African RW necks and in every case they had a zing in the highs that I never could dial out. Before you say it, rolling back the tone contol enough to take off the high end took away too much of everything else. I'm sure there are folks who love Brazillian for the same reason I hate it, but give me Indian RW any day.

8. tfire

tfire Member

Thought of getting a VTB pickup in the bridge on the Classic? I have that, and it works well.

9. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

The base plate can't be added if you want the silent coil system, you have to make that sacrifice for the noiseless aspect- at least until they figure out a way to make that work. Suhr told me this directly. Maybe soon that will change.
    I would get indian rosewood, warmer tone and less cash. Plus, indian from suhr often has reddish hues in it. 2 of my suhrs that were indian came with red in the board, looking very much like brazilian.

10. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Thanks for all the replies. EVERYONE is so helpful. Plus, even John Suhr himself replies. How great is it that the builder even chimes in. I think I'll stick with the Ind. RW. I'm going for that warmer sound. I'll mainly be using my Tone King Meteor II 2x12 which has a couple of bright switches to taylor the sound a little if needed. I sure do like the darker look of BRW though. I've looked at a couple online that had IRW and they almost looked like BRW. Maybe I'll luck out and get a nice dark piece of IRW.

Yesterday I changed my order to have a push-pull pot to add the bridge p/u instead of a blender.

tfire, what is a VTB p/u? Vintage Tele Bridge? I'm just guessing? I didn't see it listed on the website or must have missed it.

Thanks again to all,

Joe

11. tfire

tfire Member

It's Suhr's tele/broadcaster style pickup. It's not listed on the site in the options list at the moment, but I think it's still available. This is what mine looks like:

[​IMG]

It does have a metal plate under the bridge pickup. I wasn't aware until reading this thread that the SSC system doesn't yet work with that arrangement. It can't be far off though, because they just accepted my order for a Classic T with VTB and P90 plus the SSC system.

12. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Matt,

Maybe we could get together and compare when mine arrives? I have the Tone King, Mesa Lonestar and a Z 6545 to try 'em out.

tfire,

Thanks for the pic. I was typing (slowly) my post at the same time Matt was also. I guess I'll stick with the V60LP in the bridge which is no big deal as Noel from Tone Merchants said it is wound hotter anyway. I ordered my classic in Sonic blue also but with a mint guard. Or is yours Daphne blue?

Joe

13. tfire

tfire Member

Daphne blue, parchment guard.

14. magnus

magnus Member

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

magnus,

Thanks, I've just e-mailed the store & requested that along with one other change. Nothing to do now but sit back & wait. :cool:

Joe