• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Opinions needed: Fender '67 Twin or Dr Z EZG-50 head

Dr Z EZG-50 or Vintage '67 Twin Reverb

• Dr Z

• Twin Reverb

Results are only viewable after voting.

Adam Zaiger

This is (was) a no brainer. The Twin is a classic piece that will hold value. The Z will depreciate to worthlessness in 20 years. Bad choice.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
This is (was) a no brainer. The Twin is a classic piece that will hold value. The Z will depreciate to worthlessness in 20 years. Bad choice.

From an investment standpoint I agree the Twin is a better bet. Fortunately for me that wasn't really a major factor in my decision. It's really about whether I'm going to use/enjoy the amp or have it sitting around in the garage.

Tele Wacker

I have a '67 Twin Reverb (blackface) that I picked up for $100. I've had it for about 15 years. I don't play it much now but I used to. I'd pick the '67 Twin Reverb anyday, over the Dr Z.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
A TR is too heavy for me. I owned an EZG-50 for 3 months and didn't bond with it at all. I'm now running a Sarno Music Solutions Classic Preamp (rack mount BFTR preamp) into a Rocktron Velocity 300 (SS power amp) into a 2X12 and absolutely loving it. Total keeper rig for someone like me whose grail is BFTR tone at *any* volume.

balde

2 years, and i am still loving my EZG50. I´ve compared it to silverface twins, and preferred the Ezg by a large margin. The good thing about the EZG, is that it is blackface flavored but with a twist. You might like that twist, or not. It´s a bit thicker as Frankie Starr said, a bit tighter in the bass, and the verb is to die for. Lush and warm. I am using mine with a et65 paired with a g1265. I love that combo. In my opinion, u would have made a great decision either way. However, when i buy an amp, i consider it tonewise first, then resale value. Not the other way round. I am player, not a collector.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Together, balde's & my posts can be the poster child for "different strokes for different folks."

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
A TR is too heavy for me. I owned an EZG-50 for 3 months and didn't bond with it at all. I'm now running a Sarno Music Solutions Classic Preamp (rack mount BFTR preamp) into a Rocktron Velocity 300 (SS power amp) into a 2X12 and absolutely loving it. Total keeper rig for someone like me whose grail is BFTR tone at *any* volume.

What was it about the EZG that didn't work for you? It seems very "blackface" to my ears.

Existing EZG users - what are your favorite telecaster settings?

There seems to be a lot of different but equally pleasing tones I'm finding.

I'm currently setting it as follows: pre about 11am, post as needed, treble/mid at 11am and bass at 8:30 - dwell is 11am, mix 9 am. Keep in mind I'm running into an oversize Voxish cab with Celestion Centuries which have fairly "neutral" response characteristics.

Not sure how much headroom you guys require but the EZG has volume to spare. Running the pre at 11am and the post between 9 and 11am is about what I expect for "gig" volumes. I'm getting a really huge bass response (feels like a 4x12 cab) and since the cab is on casters it should be pretty consistent room to room. I've tried my trusty Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and it sounds amazing thru this rig!

I'll update after Saturday's gig - it's outdoors so this setup should have plenty of room to breathe!

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Well - I wussed out and decided to use the small amp (Rivera 30-12) for the gig. Glad I did b/c load-in/out was a pain in the ass. Private party - down a hill and steps into the backyard and I was doing PA duty as well.

Just for grins I hooked the Rivera into the 2x12 cab and it really got me rethinking this whole using a lower power amp and getting to the sweet spot. The EZG still sounds a little bit better - but the Rivera wasn't far off at all in terms of it being a "huge" sound. I may bring the Rivera and the 2x12 cab out for smaller gigs - I can crank the Rivera and get all that nice power tube distortion. I'm going to bring the Z out to a gig soon and see how it fares.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
I played a gig with the EZG thru a 2x12 cabinet and it sounded great. Plenty of volume and it mixed with the band very well.

That said - as of today the EZG50 is off to a new home. It's a great amp that absolutely holds it own with both my 6L6 Shiva and 1965 Super Reverb. Glad I got to try one and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a classic Fenderish tone.

I picked the '67 Twin before reading the post... then I read about the original Altecs... I'd take that Twin and never look back.

bkatx

That said - as of today the EZG50 is off to a new home. It's a great amp that absolutely holds it own with both my 6L6 Shiva and 1965 Super Reverb. Glad I got to try one and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a classic Fenderish tone.

Well I have to ask...why did you move the Z on?

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Well I have to ask...why did you move the Z on?

Because I have too many great combo amps (Super, Shiva, Rivera, etc.) and wanted to clear out some space in the gear room. I'm selling/sold most of my extra speaker cabs as well.

I'd highly recommend the EZG to anyone - it's the best sounding Z amp I've owned out of the Carmen Ghia, Maz 18 and 38.

GuitarTampa

I owned a real 66' BF Twin. It was one of the greatest guitar sounds I have ever heard and I am an idiot for selling it. I have owned (and still do) a pile of "Holy Grail" amps but I screwed up by selling that. 67' Twin is a no brainer if the transformers are all original and the reverb and trem circuits are solid. I actually preferred the Jensen C series speakers than the JBLs or other variations but that's all personal preference. Hopefully it's been regularly used so that the caps are original.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Given the ongoing EZ50 versus TR discussion in the other current thread, I thought I'd return to this one finally to cast my vote for the true "King of Clean." ;)

TD_Madden

KotWF
Sure hope that the high-voltage electrolytics have been replaced...if original they are just waiting to go.

The coupling and tone caps should be ok (check the tone caps just to make sure).

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Umm, you said this is a trade? And you can have either one of those amps for the same money? If you really have a Twin from 67 that came factory with Altecs (that is RARE, JBLs were much more common) then grab it. It's worth more now and will continue to appreciate, whereas the Z will stay just a Z for the foreseeable future.

Next, sell the Red Knob Twin, you won't need it for cleans and be honest, the distortion on that amp isn't better than any number of pedals into the 67. Take the cash from the sale and buy a head cab for the Twin chassis. Get a couple of Weber Neos in a lightweight pine cab to put under it-total investment about the same but better value and better tone!

killer blues

So I've got an oppt. to pick one or the other as a trade.....which would you choose.

Twin has original Altec's and is not a beauty queen but is a real "toneful" amp. Recently tuned up and all orginal caps, pre-amp tubes - a real good "workhorse" amp. Loud, heavy but sweet....

Dr Z seems to be a really interesting amp but means I need to lug a cab around with me. Love the idea of the pre/post volume - seems like you could get some of that Twin type breakup at a manageable gig volume.

Thoughts?

the EZG50 is fenderish, but the twin IS fender. No choice for me get that twin. If the altecs are 417's snatch that bad boy right up!

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Well - G.A.S. being what it is - the EZG-50 has morphed (somewhat indirectly) into a Badcat Wildcat 40R combo and a Fender Pro Reverb (Silverface). The Pro is about to be put up for sale as I've got a Wonderdawg 1x12 combo and an original '65 Super to cover the Fender side of things.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
My old EZG had a great, great sound.... But not enough headroom to be considered close to a twin. It got very overdriven when cranked up.

I couldn't play clean with a loud drummer when using P-90s or humbuckers. It didn't excel at overdrive. Sounded great clean (really great IMO), but not enough headroom for me.

I'd love a 4x6L6 EZG if it wasn't bigger and heavier. I could even do w/o the reverb.

Wow...maybe I'm getting old but I couldn't get it to overdrive at all except at obscene volumes.

I was playing the EZG thru a 2x12 Swanson (Vox) cab loaded with two Celestion Centuries (very efficient, no speaker breakup) and it was LOUD. We are talking about not being in the same room loud and it wasn't breaking up at all.

Then again I think that I'm just not playing loud like I used to....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom