Opinions needed on Seattle area guitar tech,

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys I'm in the southern suburb area of Seattle, and need some work done on my guitars, just basic setups and whatnot. I've stumbled across RJW guitar repair, Richard Weikum, and he seems to have a good reputation, just wondered if anyone else has experience with him? I'm somewhat limited in transportation so Mike Luhl is out, and I'm much closer to RJW than I'd be to emerald city guitars. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion of this shop?
Thanks in advance,
Kurt

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
I'll check him out, trying to stay close to home if possible. I'm in the Renton area,
Kurt

Tony Stephens at A Sharp (in Renton- two blocks from Ikea) does decent setups and pickup swaps. Wait time is usually less than a week and the shop accepts drop offs & pickups 7 days a week.

Last edited:

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
I had some work done by Jay at a sharp was not impressed is Tony a bit better?

02Singlecut

Jay is a good friend of mine and ex-bandmate.....If the work was not right something should have been said and it would have been corrected. He is a very talented Luthier. Tony Stevens is ASharp's manager and has been there for years. Jay, Matt and Tony maintained all my guitars when I lived in Seattle. Go talk with Tony and explain what you want and he'll get it done.

Jay left A Sharp for "an office job" last year. A Sharp hired the luthier (Gene?) full time that they had been sending more advanced repairs to for awhile. I haven't had him do a set up for me yet, so I can only vouch for Tony. And per 02Singlecut's comments...a lot of luthiers will do setups "to spec" or to what they think "average players" want. I've taken guitars back (sometimes multiple times) to multiple luthiers when the set up wasn't to my liking and never got the slightest pushback on "tweaking". Every adjustment has been done free and has usually been accompanied wth an apology of "sorry we didn't get it exactly right the first time".

Last edited:

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I should have tried them back, I may give them a shot again and see how it works. Thanks all,
Kurt

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
bumping this thread for any new info, still need to get some setups done, I've been putting it off a while, but it's gotta get done.
Thanks to everyone,
Kurt

S1Player

Dale Robinson (Tisdale Guitars) used to be located in Renton. Website isn't there any longer - but perhaps he is still in business around there somewhere.

Ridgeback

If you are south of Seattle, Joe Riggio at Service Guitar Repair in Tacoma is a very good luthier.

Tony Stephens at A Sharp (in Renton- two blocks from Ikea) does decent setups and pickup swaps. Wait time is usually less than a week and the shop accepts drop offs & pickups 7 days a week.
Update- Tony Stephens has left A Sharp for a job outside of music.

Ted Brown in Tacoma does set ups (they did a good job on a guitar I bought from them).

Joe Riggio has a great reputation as a builder and is authorized to do factory warranty work by several companies, but his website (that doesn't look like it's been updated for years) has kept me for trying him out as it lists $99 for a setup (strings not included) and seems to purposefully not list any address information.

Last edited:

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Any idea who does A sharp's setups now? I'm somewhat limited on how far I can go from the Renton area, not being able to drive,
Kurt

Meriphew

I've always used Mike Lull. Been happy with all of his work. If I was going to go anywhere else, I'd prob take it to Emerald City Guitar's tech.

whuppo

Gold Supporting Member
Richard Weikum at RJW cannot be beat for service, price and turnaround.

Shawn at NW Guitars in Bellevue is my go to guy. I've been taking my guitars to him since I was 13 and trust him implicitly. He's a great dude, very open minded about ideas and won't jerk you around on price.

Trending Topics