Opinions needed: SG pickguard

Guitattorney

Hi guys,

So my newest guitar is a Gibson SG Baritone. I love it, but I'm not so keen on the 100% whiteout look. Here it is as it looks right now (on the right, obviously):

So I had the idea of swapping out the knobs and pickup rings for black hardware, using some chrome pickup covers, and putting a black pickguard on. Because the baritone has an extra-large body as compared to a regular SG (see above!) I didn't know how it would look with a standard pickguard. I ordered one, and here's what we're working with:

Looks like a fat guy in a little coat. (Please disregard the rubber spider on the floor. I have a child.) SO I decided to get creative. I measured the distance between my pickup rings, scanned the regular pickguard into my computer, and sized it up so that the pickup gap measured out to fit the larger guitar. I printed out my results, cut it out like a paper doll, and taped it on to get a look:

Better, but still weird. Maybe it's just because of the white hardware? Sloppy photoshop to the rescue!!!

SOOOO I am seeking public opinion as to the size and fit of this pickguard on this particular guitar. Before I spend money getting a custom cut guard, I want to make sure it doesn't look ridiculous. And honestly, I have been looking at it for so long that I can't tell anymore. Please post your opinions freely!!!

Guitattorney

I think I need to split the difference in size. This is the exact proportion I'm going for, and it's definitely smaller than my mockup:

onemoretime

I think I need to split the difference in size. This is the exact proportion I'm going for, and it's definitely smaller than my mockup:

The easiest way out is a custom cut pickguard.

I would just use a standard black pickguard but cut off the filler between the pickups or source a pickguard that fits a triple pickup SG. Black rings, reflector knobs and switch plate would look good. Go with chrome or nickel hardware and pickup covers though.

Like this:

You could also do the same with a $10.00 batwing pickguard. Cut across the edge of the pickup routes and then re-contour the bottom edge. This would give you the extra length you are looking for. It is pretty easy to sand the bevel edge by hand after you cut it. I use a Dremel with a small grinding tip to do the rough cut just leaving enough material to final sand to dimension.

Last edited:

Brian N

I think the pick guard needs some kind of design. Could be something simple, two tone, but it needs more than just plain black.

gkoelling

Chrome/nickel hardware
Black reflector knobs with pointers
Black p/u rings and switch washer
I agree w/ @onemoretime, cut an inexpensive batwing and you're done. I have had one sitting here for about 5 years, let me know if you want it. It didn't fit on a Gibson but might work if you cut it.

JBid

Because of the absence of a tenon cover, the proportions of a type 1 or 2 small pick guard will look odd and you'd have to majorly redesign the batwing to accommodate the neck.
A custom one should not be too dear, from vendors like Greasy Groove or Pickguardian.

Guitattorney

Update: added reflector knobs and black switch cap. swapped out the bridge pickup for a Tony Iommi signature with black ring. I think it's getting there. Might not need a pickguard after all?

Last

I think you'll regret the pickguard personally.

Looks very nice in your last pic with the new reflectors and cover. May even try another one?

Guitattorney

I think you'll regret the pickguard personally.

Looks very nice in your last pic with the new reflectors and cover. May even try another one?
Lol yeah I'm replacing the neck pickup with a 57 classic (with chrome cover) but I just haven't received it yet, so I figured I may as well just replace the bridge pickup while I wait. The Iommi pickup is great, btw. I like it way more than the 500T that was stock.

Jason_77

That's looking great. Just put a chrome cover and a black ring on the neck pickup and call it done!

Drawde

Definitely leave the pick guard off. I like the one Iommi cover/one white with reflector knobs. Something a little different than most other white sgs.

Trending Topics