Opinions of Yamaha Bass Guitars???

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by 5150user, Dec 24, 2017.

1. 5150user

5150user Member

I took note back in the 1980's that Billy Sheehan was playing Yamaha Basses with the David Lee Roth Band; so I believed then that Yamaha built some good Bass Guitars.

I just purchased a new Yamaha bass, and i like it myself.

2. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Never played on that was less than good. Some are fantastic. The Japanese made models from the 80's are typically pretty special.

3. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

I bought a Yamaha BBN4-III new back around 2002 or so. Not the prettiest bass I've ever owned (it had a "natural wood" look with a light satin finish, but the wood didn't look that great), but it sounded great and was a good player. I used it live and in recordings, but traded it two or three years ago for a 2006 MIM Jazz (I'd always wanted a Jazz).

fretless likes this.
  4. 5150user

5150user Member

I look at Yamaha and Ibanez basses, as being good alternatives to the traditional Fender basses. I kind of see those 2 brands in the same light.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Overall they're very good basses. Few if any Japanese companies offer a poor product. Yamaha has been a major player in the gear market for many years and they have their fans. Which model did you buy?

el capitan likes this.
  6. 5150user

5150user Member

I can't remember the model number. It has a Mango Wood veneer top over a Mahogany body. Not an expensive bass, but very pretty to look at. I figure it would be a good bass to possibly upgrade the hardware on, if I deem it necessary later. This specific one has a stunning piece of veneer on it. Crazy wood grain. It seemed like it was the best looking bass at GC that day. Every person I've shown it to has thought it was beautiful. It has a Passive P/J pickup configuration.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  7. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I have a TRBX305 and it's very good. The fit, finish, feel and tones are great.

8. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

I've been playing my BB614 for years and I love it.

9. J-Hon 1986

J-Hon 1986 Member

I own an older music man, a mid 2000's stingray 5, a MIM jazz bass, a Dean edge 4 pro, a mid 80's Ibanez BTB and a Yamaha TBRX 505. The Yamaha is the best balance of sound quality, reliability, and ease of use/maintenance, and it's the least expensive bass i own. 10/10, would recommend hands down.

fretless likes this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

So, you bought it on looks, alone? Lucky for you that Yamaha does make excellent basses in all price ranges, from the "student" models such as you have, up to very pro level, and accordingly priced, instruments.

I used to own two Yamaha basses; the first I got was purchased in the summer of 1986.

11. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

Generally, Yamaha instruments across the board are just a good bet to compare favourably with more flashy brands who have similar products at much, much higher prices.

Adel2 and jay42 like this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

While Yamaha certainly makes good affordable instruments, I was under the impression that Ibanez's instruments at about the same price tag generally are of slightly higher quality.

13. 5150user

5150user Member

No, not on looks alone; but I also didn't pick up and play any bass that I didn't like the looks of.

StratoCraig likes this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Possibly, not really sure. They do seem pretty comparable but I prefer the neck feel of Yamaha over the (to me) too narrow Ibanez necks. If I were to spend big bucks on one or the other my money would be on the Yamaha,such as the various JP or NE models.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Good, you got a nice bass. :cool: Did you check out any Peavey basses as you seem to like their amps and are from their home state?

16. 5150user

5150user Member

I didn't notice any Peavey bass guitars in my local GC that day. I did once own a Peavey 5 string bass, and I thought it was pretty nice at the time. I was mostly looking at Yamaha and Ibanez this time around.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

The only Peavey product I remember owning was a 1516 cabinet that I used with a Walter Woods MI-100-8 amp, back in the early '80s, before I moved to Los Angeles.

18. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

+1
    I got one of these a couple years ago, to have a 5er and active electronics, and I'm very impressed with the quality. I think it cost around $350, and like @DarrellM5 said, it's very well constructed and sounds great.

19. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

I have a Sheehan Attitude II and a TRBX505. Both are great basses in different ways.