Opinions on 1x12 Speakers for an Origin 50 head Open and closed back cabinet?

Denny

Just got the head - been using a nice 1x12 cabinet with a V-30 (UK). the cabinet can be closed or open. With this speaker - closed is way too bassy and open (half-cab) sounds better. What do you guys recommend? Thanks and Happy New Year.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
Spend the money and get a Celestion Cream. I cant recommend that speaker enough.

westmike

Gold Supporting Member
I run an OR-20 head thru an open-back 1x12 loaded with an Eminence Legend GB128. It's been a very good match for that head.

Denny

Thanks - I'm not one to jump on every bandwagon that comes my way - and have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars over my 67 years on chasing the tone so this post intrigues me. This G-12 V-30 in a Peavey 112 SX cab (which I absolutely love) is just too bassy - even if that's the correct terminology maybe mid low to bassy. the 50 watt head is a fu**in monster so I only use it on the low to medium outputs. I use a TC Nova Syste in the front end (including distortion and OD) and it sounds killer. I guess I just want to smooth out some of the highs and not have so much mid/bass etc... Also looking into WGS - those guys are awesome.

Guitar Dave T

For open back with the Origin 50 head, Celestion G12-65. For closed, G12M-65 Creamback.

I would go with ceramic in any case for a 1x12 - single alnicos just don't carry that Marshall midrange punch.

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Silver Supporting Member
I had an Origin 50, which surprised me. I really dug it, until a JTM 45 fell in my path. That said, I found a WGS Reaper HP sounded great in a 3/4 back 1x12” cab with the O50

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
Alnico Cream. I’ve been through WAY too many speakers to figure this out. Marshall, Fender, Mesa - you name it. That speaker is the TITS.

Top Bottom