Opinions on a Jensen P12Q in a DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blues Jr, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I currently have a Jensen P12Q in my Deluxe Reverb. It was the stock speaker in the amp, which was a limited edition Blonde DRRI.
    I have retubed with Tungsols all around, done the bright cap, pulled V1 and use only the Vibrato channel.

I like the speaker ok, it does have a nice clean tone, but somewhat thin. It's maybe too clean. Breakup is around 5-6 on the volume with a Strat.
    I've been thinking of swapping it for something with a little more beef, nicer lows and an all around bigger fatter sound. An earlier breakup would be nice as well.

I heard a few clips on YouTube of a DRRI & a Celestion Gold that sounded pretty darn good.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Have the same amp with the same tubes but I kept the bright cap. I like it for what I need but the bass does get a little farty at high volumes but so did the originals. I can't help you with a Gold but I imagine that there are a lot of speakers that would have a tighter bass and a bigger sound. Weber is very popular. Do a search as there is at least one large DRRI speaker thread going here recently. At least my post will bump this thread.

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Jensen P12N if you like the Jensen tone.

AlNiCo Tone Tubby is a good option.

Celestion Gold sounds nice.

Celestion G12H30 sounds great in DRs.

4. Blues Jr

Thanks, i'll do a search.

5. Blues Jr

G12H30, that the one i was thinking about. How do you install a Celestion into a DR? Aren't they holes different?

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

You have to break off 4 of the posts.

I don't know that any of the speakers will give you earlier breakup though. The P12Q breaks up pretty fast.

7. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Many favorable reviews with a Celestion Gold in a Deluxe Reverb.

8. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I recently put two Jensen P12Q's in one of my Fender Pro's and they are absolutely fantastic. It has the best fender sound I've ever obtained and I have owned literally dozens of Fenders over the years. The speakers/amp breaks up at about 4 1/2 just like a good Fender does. I am not sure why you are not getting good results. Maybe you have a celestion sound in the back of your head that wants to come out :)

You may want to try a more efficient speaker like an Eminence Red White and Blue. I put one of them in a Vox AC-15 to bring up the bottom end a bit. It seems like overkill since the speaker is rated at like 150 watts but it really brought out the fine chime of the Vox and beefed up the lows a touch.

9. Brien

Brien Member

1 p12q is not enough in that amp. P12N would do it.

10. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The Jensen Neo 12 might give you what you want, except for speaker breakup. The Canabis Rex would fatten things up nicely, too, but again without much speaker breakup.

11. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

After I installed the Eminence CRex in my DRRI, I then could get some nice tone using my OD pedals. Before the CRex, the OD tone was shrill and frizzy. Very nice upgrade, and cheap too. I paid about $75 from bltsound. Happy Modding

12. gnugear

gnugear Member

Love the P12N in my DRRI :)

13. Zane

Zane Member

I have a 50w Weber Blue Dog in my Oldfield Club D'Luxe (BD DR clone)
    it sounds great ang is about 1/2 the price of a Celestion Gold...