• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Opinions on Arcane pickups

rubis

I’ve been curious about Arcane pickups for a while and was wondering if anyone here can compare them to something like the Wolfetone or Motor City pickups? So far my favorite sets of humbuckers that I’ve tried have been the Wolfetone Marshallheads and Motor City Detroiters

robyogi

Ampaholic
Gold Supporting Member
I have an Arcane Brownbucker that replaced a MC Afwayu in my Hamer. The guitar still has a MC TWreck in the neck position. This may not be the most useful info, but the reason for the replacement was that the Afwayu was hotter than I wanted and I had been wanting to try an Arcane. The Arcane better meets my needs in this guitar (but I've held on to the Afwayu in case I want something thick and hot at some point). I can't say one is "better" than the other - they are both outstanding. Arcane might be a little easier to get b/c they have dealers. Wade at MC seems to be a one-man army. I think the Luxxtone guys have extensive experience with both of them.

howthewestwas1

Gold Supporting Member
I never got very far into pickup swapping but I have a matchrd set of arcane triple clones in my R8 that are just fantastic. My only point of comparison before that were burstbuckers, Rio grandest, 57 classics, SD '59s. They are what I imagine a good PAF to be - open, clear, chimey, and extremely dynamic. The neck pup in my R8 yields one of my favorite sounds out of all my guitars. Like buttah!

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Trussart Jazzmaster with Arcane pickups and they sounded quite good.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I also have a Trussart, a Steelcaster with Arcane tele pups. Very impressive. Despite fairly low resistance readings they are really full sounding. The bridge pup has great tele sparkle but no ice-pick extreme top end so it take overdrive like a champ. The neck pup is clear and a bit strat-like with no mud. I'm curious to try other Arcane models.

buddastrat

Love my Brownbucker in my strat. Ballsy yet clean/clear. Single notes have a nice weight to them, but rolling it down is very clean like a single coil. it's wound like 9K or something, but somehow sounds more powerful.

wyldefan

Platinum Supporting Member
Best pickups made! I have several I have not used so feel free to pm me if you are looking for one.

pepedede

Hi. Huge fan of arcane pickups and haven't been disappointed with any of them. I have triple clones in my 03 r7, 52 experience in my 72 tele. And had a nik huber orca with his 57 experience p90's. Great growl on all of them. Excellent for overdrive and lovely mids. I have wolfetone legends in a 68 335. They are great but didn't work well in my r7 they sounded too dark. Recommend you try them.

sickboy79

I've got a set of Arcane HB sized P-90s in one of my Trussart Steel Deville guitars. Just amazing. I'd really like to try their other offerings sometime.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Bandmate has a Custom Shop strat that he put Arcane '54s in... PHENOMENAL. made me a believer... and then he went and put a set of '65 Experience pickups in a Rocketfire Tele that he has and I was blown away.... so much so that I just ordered my own Rocketfire Tele and asked Nick to put the same pickups in mine.

Not sure exactly what it is about the Arcanes. I have owned or do own many other great guitars with wonderful pickups, including Rocketfires, Tuttle, Lollar, etc... but Rob does something 'magic' and the ones I've heard are EXACTLY what I think a fantastic set of pickups should sound like.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Arcane pickups are under the Radar. Reality is they are probably in the Top 5 of pickup makers. And definitely my top 5. I had had some experience with his vintage Strat PU's. They really made the guitar, but it has been awhile. But his flagship premier pickup in my book is his GOLD COIL pickup. Looks like an ornament from a 54 Studebaker pickup. Impeccable relicing. Mine was Nichol. Anyway ever since hearing it in a Danocaster Tele Neck, I was on the hunt for a place to put one. And that be my FrankenssquireWarmouth fused Strat. Bridge pickup, Duncan Antiquity, Middle pickup, Teisco Gold foil, Neck Rob Timmons custom Gold Coil neck pickup. I suck at giving a frequency analysis of this pickup. But it sounds black face and can have hair on it, but its clarity is amazing. I'd say ultimate neck position sound on a strat is not any stretch. Oh! It quacks like a strat on the 4th position, but on the 2 position. Gold COIL/ Gold Foil combo, WOW. Blues, or Jazz, this is one phenomenal pickup

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
Old thread, but I’ll chime in. I have Arcane pickups on my Thorn tele-style guitar. I wouldn’t change a thing about them. Great bridge pickup.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
dan strain put a set in my danocaster strat and they are superb...i just bought some arcane tele pups that i'm putting in an lsl...can't wait to try them!

Cup of Cheese

I have an Arcane Mr. Scary that I'm removing from an ESP Lynch Tiger. Way too hot and harsh, but that is that particular pickup. I have an Arcane Lost Humbucker that is waiting for a strat. I ordered it with a phone call direct to Rob and he was great to talk with.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Arcane '58s in my '58 V clone:

and Arcane '59 bridge/mini bucker neck on this monster:

They all sound phenomenal in these guitars (both Korina bodies & necks) and truly capture the nuances and overtones of these axes, while being able to crunch and scream with a sweetness as well. Some of my favorite pickups I've ever had. Rob is cool cat, to boot.

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
The Arcane site has been down for a while and I called a couple of times and no answer (though I didn't leave a message yet). I also heard from Allen Hinds that the Arcane Tele signature pickups he was offering had to be cancelled because he had a bunch of orders that Arcane didn't fulfill and he removed them from his website and had to return people's money. Anyone have reason to believe Arcane is not still active or any other issues?

Trending Topics