opinions on Bill Nash telecasters

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by paulscape, Sep 26, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

Ive spotted a 52T honey blonde telecaster through a local dealer and its drawing me in like light to a black hole. Should I let myself enter that dimension or investigate other 'dark relic' matter?

Specifically Im interested in how well their necks play and their re-sale value. Are there cheaper heavy relic tele's out there??

Cheers

2. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

Nash guitars generally play and sound nice but his relic work is not really as good as it could be. If you want the whole package check out Danocaster. The feel of his neck's is second to none. They are well set up and play great. And his relic work is the best I've seen bar none. The price is also better then Nash. Check him out.

www.danocaster.com

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I've owned a few Nash's before and they're great guitars. They seem to hold their value ok. You usually don't see them cheaper than $1200 for sale. How much is your store charging?

4. Noah

Noah Member

I have a Nash tele that plays easier than any other guitar I've owned(and I've owned LOTS!). It sounds great and feels great. Now I want another one.

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I completely agree about the relic work of the Nash's. They could be a lot better.
    I've always heard that they play and sound great though.

I"ll take my Relicaster over anything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the pots and switch are from the 50's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

If it speaks to you, buy it. I would not pass it up to buy a guitar over the net that you cannot try before buying my $.02.

7. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

The only small maker relics i've played are Vinetto's and Nash. Nash is the one i bought. Plays so extremely easy, even with a fatter neck then i've ever owned. I gassed for one over the net, but i don't buy guitars without playing. Lucky for me a couple dealers popped up in my general area. Even then, i played about 5 or 6 before i settled on mine. If you've already played that 52 and it's sticking in your head, it's probably the one. If you haven't played it, it's time!! you'll know for sure then.

Mine's an Esquire, but my next guitar will be a Nash Strat. Just trying to figure out the specs i want.

Those Dano's are looking better all the time, especially Laroosco's up there. Old World are the other one's i'm interested in, haven't played those either, but those necks look unique, not sure how he gets 'em like that.

good luck, cheers

8. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Mine isn't a Dano but I do like the Dano's I've seen

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

After looking for a tele the better part of 6 months, I wound up with a Nash. It is by far my favorite guitar now. There may be guitars out there as good, like some makers listed, but I sincerely doubt there are any better. I absolutely love my 63 Nash tele.

The comments about Bill's relicing smacks of cork sniffery to me. Every player I have come in contact with thought it was authentic, or at least said so. I have no doubt others do as good or better job of relicing, but this one is just fine.

10. Marty

Marty Member

I have a Nash 52 butterscotch tele with lollars. I also have a Fender CS 60s relic with antiquities.

The Nash is an exceptional guitar for the money. It has a sweet tone that through a DRRI just gets it. My Fender is much more aggressive, nice to have both :) The setup and general quality of the Nash is on par with the Fender CS imho. I don't think Bill Nash makes a bad guitar.

I bought my Nash new and for awhile there they were scarce and resale was high. They seem to be available now so resale has probably dropped a little. I think it's still a quality instrument though.

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

I have a Nash TK-54 "Keef" Tele with Lollar pickups and an asymetrical neck carve and I love it. It is in the "Church Gig" relic which was done very well but it's playability and tone are superior. I'd recommend it to anyone, unreservedly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  12. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have a friend that have one (that I missed to buy for just ignorance) and it is one of the best teles with one of the best tones I have played, against a 52 butterscotch reissue with changed pickups, the Nash still killed it...

As fas as I know they are really great guitars.

13. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

My best friend just picked up a Nash 52 while he was on tour in Canada and he left it with me for a while. I have to say that I'm not impressed, I thought it would be much better. It doesn't play to the standard that I would expect from a guitar for its price and the relic job on it is not very realistic.

After playing it, makes me feel so much better about ordering the Danocaster that should be coming to me within the next few weeks.

+1000 for Danocaster

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

pssst....Danocaster.

15. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Bill Nash all the way. A couple of weeks ago I picked up this 52 Butterscotch that just blew me away. I never really "got" Teles before. I've watched great Tele players my whole life, but never could connect with one. With the Nash, I now get it - in spades.

Here are two photos. Great f-ing guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob

16. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Seriously!!?? "Doesn't play to standard for that price..." vs a regular Fender in that price range? I definitely disagree....

And i've never played a Dano, definitely not trying to send out any bad vibes, but have you played a Dano before ordering?? They obviously look awesome, definitely have a great rep, but if you're saying +1000 with out having played one, well good luck. My stomach couldn't take the anticipation of waiting for a guitar in that price range if i had never played one from that maker/company.

Best luck with the Dano tho (from a Nash owner ;))

cheers

17. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I have found the feel, playability and tone of Nash T's more to my liking than anything in the price range. my 52 and Andy Summers are two of my go to guitars. The relicing varies but I care a whole lot less about that than how good they sound and how easily they play.

best of luck with your choice.

18. paulscape

paulscape Member

I'll check out the Dano's...this is the tele Im looking at below and I will get a chance to play it when the dealer comes through town on a roadshow in mid Oct. The price is around $1500 which seems ok. Im not so bothered whether the relicing is perfect or not...its kinda subjective.

Im very interested in how his necks play as some tele's I fall in love with and others I can't gel with at all...but the good tele necks Ive played have been outstanding and Ive been wanting the classic blonde style with black scratch plate for a long time. Well ever since I joined TGP!!!

[​IMG]

19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have a Nash tele.I love the guitar,but i wasn't too crazy about the neck.
    A fellow TGP member hooked me up,now it is one of the best guitars i
    have in my stable.

20. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

i played five or six the day that i bought mine. it was not the guitar i would have bought if i would have picked it out online, but i have to say, once i sat down with it i knew it would be one that i would want to sit down and play....the fit and feel are what locked it in. his relicing the last year or so looks very fake most of the time and then there are some that are just wicked looking.