Opinions on Bluesbreaker RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by japhy, May 12, 2005.

1. japhy

japhy Member

Looking for people who have owned BB RI for a while.

I have a few questions.

Are they reliable with moderate use ?

Is the tone consistant from day to day ?

Do they attenuate well ?

The BB RI I.m looking at is a 1997 limited ed. , 10.5 in deep cab ,
    kt66s , english greenbacks.

Thanks for the help.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I haven't had mine for very long but after a few tweaks to get the sound I was after I am very happy with it. I use a 50 watt Webber Load Dump for an attenuator they are small and in this application works very well. You can see it in the first shot below hanging just inside the cab between the speakers. I changed the speaker to Celestion blues and changed the tubes to all NOS Mullards preamp and rectifier and GEC KT66 power tubes. It sounds very smooth very rich and very bluesy. Reminds most the Beano album. I love what it looks like. It is heavy and I made a aluminum plate with wheels so it is easier to mover around and off the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I used one in tandem with my rack (JMP-1, JFX-1 and Peavey Classic 50/50) while recording about a dozen years ago. It definately added definition to the track.

The mods mentioned above sound like they would add up to a great sounding amp!

4. telest

telest Member

Those are just so cool looking. Don't know what it is, but I always loved the look. :dude

Steve

5. MK.II

MK.II Member

Yes, they are reliable, have consistent tone and sound great! I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years now. It's the 10 1/2" deep model. It's been all tweaked up and sounds great, but my back (and the rest of the guys in the band's backs) haven't been enjoying that great tone lately! It's cumbersome size/weight makes you carry it in an unnatural position. It's very awkward! A heavy Twin Reverb is actually a little easier to carry because it's smaller. Even though the RI BB sounds great, I've decided to part with it. I have a tweaked reissue JTM45 and a 2X12 cab that is much easier to carry around and it sounds just as good. I will still have a '67/'68 JMP50 Bluesbreaker for recording (it's even bigger than the reissue BB!). It's an EL34 amp and sounds fabulous. It doesn't go on gigs though.

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I giged one quite a bit, and it prolly had 250 gigs on it when I sold it. The normal things like tubes, and dirty pots. Never really anything bad.

7. morgan

morgan Guest

I had one and it was great. I put weber blue dogs in it and did some tube swaps (although not to kt66's). It was great amp, I'm kinda sorry I sold it. Just grab a roadcase with wheels on it an push it around. It's light compared to my ac30:D

8. mario

mario Member

I have owned mine for about 4 years and it has been extemely reliable! Very rich tone. Never have tried an attenuator with it, but I would bet it would sound great.

9. Shemp

Shemp Member

Good amps, need attenuation.

10. radialaced

radialaced Member

[​IMG]

This one is loaded with Celest Blues and 5881WXT's. I jump the channels and plug a Historic LP straight in and I'm satisfied.:D

11. mario

mario Member

Wow that looks great in red. Is it recent?

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Don't use an attenuator. Be a man, these amps are only 30 watts. They break up beautifully and sound like the singing voice of God.:dude

Just change the tubes to KT66's and use some Mullards (real ones) in the preamp and then change the two filter caps to "vintage correct" value. Those three things make this amp a totally different animal.

I used the JTM45 head version of this with a 2x12 for about 3 years and it was a heavenly sound, then I got bored, and FOOLISHLY sold it.:(

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

ive always liked those amps but the weight always scared me. they weigh a ton and i dont want a hernia!

14. radialaced

radialaced Member

It's a early 1990's. It's the 9.5 inch cab so it's a little lighter than some of the others. Also the Celestion Blues are a little lighter than greenbacks. It has factory installed wheels that screw in but I took them out for two reasons:

1. It was a "tip over" accident waiting to happen.

2. I think it sounds a little better when it's on the floor.

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Huh??? :) Seriously huh? For what? They don't need attenuation for my needs. A few friends use 2 at their gigs , full out. My modded jtm45 wasn't loud enough for me at some of my gigs and just right at others. I'd never attenuate that type of amp!!! That's just me... All depends on someone's needs

ERIC

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yes they are light compared to many combos! I agree

ERIC

17. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Mine looked alot cooler than it sounded.... sold it. tried to like it

18. peacock72

peacock72 Guest

Can't remember how long I've owned mine. 7 years maybe? It's an '89 RI I believe. I'm running Tung Sol KT66s,original Mullard Preamp, GT Solid State Rectifier and Weber Ceramic 1230 Speakers. Sounds great with a Les Paul plugged straight in, but I use a fuzz in front most of the time. It's a backbreaker though. I absolutely HATED dragging this thing in for retubes and repairs!

19. radialaced

radialaced Member

Yeah, like the Tremoverb or the Dual Professional

20. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I would get a Clark MTC-45, which I just ordered, or a Germino 45. Much easier on the back with better build quality I think. Also you can used it with different cabs. I like heads better for these reasons. Of course I'm just an old fart with a bad back! lol